felting question ?

katyallen815

Hi,

never felted, don't know much about it, so my question is this,

do you have to make things bigger, cause they shrink then, and if so, how do you know how much bigger to make say a wool hat, so it won't turn out after felting looking like Barbie's favorite accessory?? thanks in advance, I know someone will know these things, lol:):ty

Keep in mind that wool will shrink.....a lot.....but, on the other hand....it will only shrink so much....I know not much help...right?

As far as how big to make an item, I usually go by what my pattern states....use the hook that the pattern suggests. You can control how much your finished item felts...keep a close eye on it in the wash. I never let it go through a whole wash cyclye. I set my machine for the longest agitation cycle and keep taking it out every 5 mins or so. As it gets closer to the size I want, I check every minute or two. I like my finished item to be completly felted...no stitch definition left at all....some others don't like it that way.

Felting is NOT an exact science....you may swatch, do all the math on what percentage it shrunk, crochet your item by those specs and your item still didn't come out like you thought....

I know this sounds scary, but just go for it! Felting is a lot of fun....and half of the fun is that you never really know how an item is going to turn out...

I agree with Smokey as to losing the stitch definition. I've only done one felted item and I LOVED it, but it was a small bag and it didn't matter what size it ended up. I put mine through the wash twice to get it to look like I had imagined it should.

Archived