Has anyone used the flexible afghan hook?

I Create

I bought 100% wool yarn because my brother wants an all-wool afghan. He is a picky bachelor. I drew a portrait of him once for framing (about 9 x 12") and did a pretty fair job, I think. When I gave it to him he hem-hawed around and then eventually asked me to "fix the eyes". :eek I could have hit him. I told him it was artist's license, lol. Anyway, I took it back and told him I wasn't sure I could do anything (after you spray the graphite drawing you can't change it unless the spray is very light). I never did anything to it and just kept it. He told me recently it was not his favorite picture of himself that I drew it from. Gotta love him.....he's the baby of the family (4 kids).

I said all that to say, he doesn't know I am making the afghan as I don't want suggestions while doing it. I am trying different designs of my own making on it and then decided to try the flexible afghan hook to do the Tunesian stitch and see how that looks. I love that stitch and he wanted something warm. But this is my first attempt using the flexible hook and it drives me nuts flipping around. Just wondered who has used it and how you like it.

I'm probably nuts to be making this for him. We have never been close and I've been trying to reach out, he seems to be, too. But he isn't easy.........

when you say Flexable hook you mean the Crochet hook with the Flex tube extention? I love these hooks

at first yes the hook is a bit Flumpy floppy. but once you start to get all the stitches on it.. It don't flop as much and gets better. I love love LOVE these hooks..

but I also do not use ALum.. or Steel hooks anymore.. They are to hard on my wrists. so I have a nice set of bamboo crochet "Dangle" hooks. and i love them. and bamboo is all I use now. both regular hooks and "Flex" hooks

Yes, I mean the hook with the plastic flexible extension and the "stop" thing at the end to keep the loops from falling off. Well, I will keep working with it and I'm sure it will get easier.

I have a problem with my wrists getting sore, too (especially the right one), and had no clue that bamboo hooks would help that. I'll have to look into that.

Bremen, GA sure is a familiar stop in the road on the way to B'ham from Atlanta, or at least it was for us many years ago. When DH and I were in Bible college in B'ham we would travel back and forth and pass through there. This was in the 60's and there was no interstate, just back country roads most of the way. There was a place where DH used to like to stop and get coffee there.

Thanks for answering my question and for jogging my memory of Bremen.:)

Yes, I mean the hook with the plastic flexible extension and the "stop" thing at the end to keep the loops from falling off. Well, I will keep working with it and I'm sure it will get easier.

I have a problem with my wrists getting sore, too (especially the right one), and had no clue that bamboo hooks would help that. I'll have to look into that.

Bremen, GA sure is a familiar stop in the road on the way to B'ham from Atlanta, or at least it was for us many years ago. When DH and I were in Bible college in B'ham we would travel back and forth and pass through there. This was in the 60's and there was no interstate, just back country roads most of the way. There was a place where DH used to like to stop and get coffee there.

Thanks for answering my question and for jogging my memory of Bremen.:)

was it hwy 78? that you went thru? :) i live off hwy 78. I have only lived here 4 yrs. I"m orginaly from upstate ny... it's a nice lilttle town. just wish things were closer lol

Denise Interchangeable Crochet Hooks Cords Tunisian Kit has been my positively favorite thing, its a bit of an investment though so you have to be sure if you're wanting to stick w/ the stitch. I've got 2 different afghans going with it. I like it especially because of the shape of the hook is far better for me than the more bubble type of hook. It's plastic instead of the usual metal which is good for me. Best of luck on your afghan, the tunisian stitch is one of my favorites. :D

• 10 months later...

Sorry I didn't get back here till now. Thank you so much on the info and the link to Amazon showing the type afghan hook you meant. I ended up doing my brother's afghan in stips and joining together, going round and round it. I'm still not finished. Promised it by Jan. of this year when our house suddenly sold and we were packing, staying with DD in TN, looking for a house, then painting and unpacking. Our 60's bodies are worn out and resting up now!! Anyway, I learned to crochet with this stitch in the 70's and love it. Have not made a whole lot out of it but will be making much more in the future. Again, thanks for the info!

• 1 year later...

I bought 100% wool yarn because my brother wants an all-wool afghan. He is a picky bachelor. I drew a portrait of him once for framing (about 9 x 12") and did a pretty fair job, I think. When I gave it to him he hem-hawed around and then eventually asked me to "fix the eyes". :eek I could have hit him. I told him it was artist's license, lol. Anyway, I took it back and told him I wasn't sure I could do anything (after you spray the graphite drawing you can't change it unless the spray is very light). I never did anything to it and just kept it. He told me recently it was not his favorite picture of himself that I drew it from. Gotta love him.....he's the baby of the family (4 kids).

I said all that to say, he doesn't know I am making the afghan as I don't want suggestions while doing it. I am trying different designs of my own making on it and then decided to try the flexible afghan hook to do the Tunesian stitch and see how that looks. I love that stitch and he wanted something warm. But this is my first attempt using the flexible hook and it drives me nuts flipping around. Just wondered who has used it and how you like it.

I'm probably nuts to be making this for him. We have never been close and I've been trying to reach out, he seems to be, too. But he isn't easy.........

I can't use these afghan hooks.  They're terrible on my right wrist because in hook to do any yarn over, I twist not only the hook, but the full weight of what's on the cable.  I'm using 10, 12, and 14 inch metal afghan hooks and my wrist thanks me.

I haven't tried any of the interchangeable afghan hook sets.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Dreamz interchangeable hook set and absolutely love it. I think it actually helps the wrist because you're not carrying the weight of the fabric on the hook. There's also a lot more flexibility (no pun intended!) in how wide the work can be - you can do lengthwise scarves and get a completely different look.

• 1 year later...

I use that type of hook for my Tunisian and love it. The long hooks were too long and heavy for my hands....kept getting cramps. The flexible one has one major drawback, though,......

My cat consistently thinks that it's a dangerous evil creature that must be killed. Lol.

Archived