Originality Question

megan

Question

Yes, I know there are tons of threads on originality, but I haven't seen this one covered, and I'm thinking about submitting an afghan pattern to the next Crochet-Pattern-a-Day calendar.

I have a stitch encyclopedia (the Crochet Stitch Bible, specifically), and decided I wanted to make a ripple afghan. I consulted my stitch guide, and saw that to make a ripple, you have a series of increases and decreases. I designed an afghan, shown here on my blog, based on the increases and decreases used in the Stitch Bible. I read this article on copyright issues, and it seems to me that because this way of forming a ripple is pretty darn common, that as long as I write up my own instructions, I've not violated copyright laws.

Does that seem right to you guys, or am I misinterpreting this stuff?

2 answers to this question

Megan,

I read the article and got more confuzeled. Not really.

I believe what Kristina said is right. If you write the pattern with your color instructions and technique you are not copying anyone elses design. The ripple stitch can't be copyrighted because it is a technique, and the laws don't apply.

The written instructions would be your property. That is what I got from the article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I am in the process of making up kits and the information is really valuable.

Deb

Archived