Do you use stitch markers?

I bought some when I started crocheting and I hate them. They're the split ring kind. They're completely impossible to get on and off. So I just use safety pins. The regular sized ones are a bit big, so I'm going to pick up some of the tiny kind next time I'm at the store. They just seem much easier to use than me.

Lion Brand makes some that I absolutely love. I also have some of the clover brand, the ones like safety pins. they are good, too. and i've used bobby pins a lot, too.

I use them to keep track of how many rows/rounds i've done. marking specific areas for pattern repeats. Marking the first & last stitches in a row/round. making the right number in the starting chain. I also slip one on the skien of yarn I'm using to slip into the active loop when I have to put my hook down.

I am curious... do you use them? What type of projects? Favorite thing to use for a stitch marker? I am seeing them on everything from granny squares to very complex patterns (where it makes sense to have a stitch marker or round marker to keep the pattern straight)...

I can't stand the things! I feel like they're more trouble that they are worth. I know a lot of people use them when they make amigurumi. My daughter thinks I'm nuts for not marking my rows, but I keep telling her, "I can count!" LOL

The ONLY time I use them is if I'm making a very complex pattern, and even then I just use a scrap peice of yarn.

Safety pins have been the norm for me until recently. I started using a twister seal from a loaf of bread. I nipped the one end to a pointy shape. It works wonderful! A few times I had snagged the yarn with safety pin so I went looking for something else to use and VOILA the twister seal marker was born...lol!

I use them! I have some brightly coloured paper clips which make great ones.

If I am working in the round that continues on (not ss tog and turn) then I use contrasting thread which I weave up through the rows and pull out when I have finished.

Archived