Getting Published

nattypatcrochet

Question

Hi everyone! I'm getting so inspired by all of you who have had their work published in crochet magazines. I was wondering if you have any words of advice for submitting work (how they like to receive it, how you should write your patterns - what abbreviations, etc) and also info on if it's possible to retain the copyright to your work and/or be credited as the designer. The last is really important to me as it's a dream of mine to self publish within the year.

Any helpful hints would be amazing!

7 answers to this question

The best place to start with the magazines is to check their editorial calendars and their guidelines. They have dates in which they review proposals along with a photo of the swatch. Do not send instructions. That's only requested if your proposal is accepted for publication.Only send a one page proposal with basic info such as the type of yarn, hook size, size of project, stitches used and difficulty of your work.

I hope this is helpful.

Mary Beth Temple teaches a class on Designing for Print Publication, info here http://www.hookedforlifepublishing.com/onlineclass.html Looks like the online class is not scheduled right now but you might contact her to see when she may do it again. It was offered in the past via Crochetville. It is not about the design process, but about how to submit designs, and things to be aware of on issues like payment etc.

Each publication has its own style of writing patterns, and they differ widely. Never send an actual model unless asked, and don't send instructions until asked. Send a photo and as Sheriw suggests, a one page query. Never send to more than one publication at a time. Each has a different contract. Most buy all rights, and today most publications (but not all yarn companies) credit designers.

Some publications take forever to respond, and some never do. There are a lot of designers out there competing for very little space, but that doesn't mean you can't compete too. Your designs must be completely original, creative, fresh and appealing.

Be sure you study several issues of any magazine before submitting so you know the kind of designs they use. Don't send a toilet tissue cover design to a publication that

features mainly fashion!

Good luck!

Jean Leinhauser

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. And my apologies for not rsvping them in proper time, looks like I forgot to suscribe to the thread. I would have never known to just send an idea pitch rather than instructions. Plus I find the whole rights-management fascinating. The more research I do the more I wonder... I really have great issue with selling patterns to yarn companies when the work is not attributed to a designer. It's one thing if you're a staff designer for Lion Brand, Patons, etc., but as an inde designer it's a toughie. Take the compliment and get it published, or only accept those companies that attribute? I would assume that companies would have to pay more to not attribute the designer, but then again, I seem to be discovering that they drive really hard bargains.

Hi Nattypat,

You're learning a hard fact of life: there are a lot more crochet designers out there wanting to sell their patterns than there are publications or yarn companies who want to

buy them. Usually there is little room for negotiation: you either accept the offer or not.

I don't blame you for not wanting to sell a design that won't give attribution to you as

a designer. And I wouldn't do it.

Nearly all magazines give credit to the designer, so it's probably better to stick with

them.

I wish I could be more positive, but it is a long hard road, and not a very profitable one

for a designer trying to get established today.

Jean Leinhauser

Archived