Design Criticism

Thanks! It is good to consider the source, I trust the person because she dresses very well actually...still didn't like what she said. I showed her something and she said "I'm sure some people will like them. All my friends and into Ralph Lauren. Dallas is soooo high end".

So, I like the way she dresses but do I trash something because people who are into expensive clothes don't?!

Roxie, that doesn't sound like constructive criticism, that sounds like plain old-fashioned snobbishness. Anyone with enough money can get fashion from Ralph Lauren, and I'm sure there are plenty of folks in Dallas who would appreciate a beautiful hand made item instead. This kind of criticism we can all do without...it wasn't tactful either.

Sheesh, now I'm annoyed for you, I dislike that kind of attitude.

Thanks! It is good to consider the source, I trust the person because she dresses very well actually...still didn't like what she said. I showed her something and she said "I'm sure some people will like them. All my friends and into Ralph Lauren. Dallas is soooo high end".

So, I like the way she dresses but do I trash something because people who are into expensive clothes don't?!

What is the context? Did you ask for her opinion? If you didn't ask her opinion, the comment was beyond rude.

If you did ask her opinion--

If this was a comment made about something you made for yourself or for a gift, then I would ignore the criticism; it doesn't really matter what she thinks.

If you were hoping to make this item to sell to this person and her circle of friends, now you have some worthwhile information letting you know they are not likely to be interested. It is true that some people are only into labels and many, many people are not interested in buying anything made by hand.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I was being overly sensitive thinking that was a bit rude!

I was simply making earrings and when she asked what I was doing so I sent her a pic...I'll just ignore it! The best I can do is keep working on my earrings & share them with people who appreciate my work!

If you're looking for a market to sell in - you have your answer - it's not that one.

I'm having trouble figuring out how you got from 'What are you doing?" to "No - I wouldn't buy it, it's not RL"

Archived