question about felting purse

Hi!

I have made all the pieces for my the felted purse pattern I am working on. Now, on to felting, which I have NEVER tried. Here is my question. In felting a purse how do I keep the outsides from felting together, so the bag will have an opening and not just come out as one big felted piece?

Does this make sense? I want the sides to felt, but don't want the front to accidently felt to the back piece.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I have never felted and don't want to mess up the piece that took me so long to work.

I understand exactly what you are asking. When I'm felting (in top load washer) I stop every now and then and make sure the flat pieces are flat, the purse not sticking to itself, etc. While it is hot and wet, gently pull things to the shape you want them.

I put my felted purses inside an old pillowcase and tie a knot to close it. Then check it about every 5 minutes to see how the felting is progressing. I have not had a problem with pieces sticking or felting together but if you check your stuff and separate the pieces as you go along, I think you should be fine.

Archived