Need help with headbands.

I'm going to make a few headbands for our local library. We have a summer reading program and we need prizes for the pre-teens and teens. So I figured I could make up a bunch of headbands quick and easy.

The problem I have is that I cannot measure the heads of the winners. I need to make them up ahead of time. I will be using 100% cotton (Sugar n' creme yarn). I know that I will need to consider the stretch of the yarn too.

How long should I make them for pre-teens and teens?

I would tack/attach 1/4" elastic around a crocheted strip.

Actually I can show you pictures of hair items. The below photo includes a tan spool knitted one done by my dd. The knitted part measures 15" with 1/4" elastic cut 4 1/2" long and tacked to either side. This size is perfect for a teen/ or tween.

The next is a motiff headband I winged that measures 18" long and has a 4 1/2" piece of 3/4" wide elastic that has 4" exposed. I think this is the perfect size for a teen or an adult with a small head.

Other items include a small snood that is perfect for ballet to cover a girl's bun and a very soft chenille scrunchy.

I think my daughter actually used sugar and cream for her spool knitted one. They can be whipped up very quickly.:)

post-3193-135897540598_thumb.jpg

hello. nice items you have there. i want to make just a long strip and sew it in a tube. really simple. i just don't know how long to make it.

You could make a headband where the decorative part is 3/4 of the total length and then make a chain tie-cord at each end. Elastic could still be too tight or too loose.

I just did some googling, it said by age 10 one's head is 96% of adult size, so that should give you an idea.

Archived