Katy_Ravensong

Crochet Pentacle

CROCHETED PENTACLE, Katy’s design

Materials:

Small amount of J&P Coats Knit-Cro-Sheen

Or size 10 bedspread cotton

Size 1 steel crochet hook (2.75 mm)

(Note: crocheted holding two strands together throughout. Nice if done with one strand of crochet cotton and one strand of silver or gold filament. The filament makes it a bit stiffer.)

Abbreviations:

sl st      slip stitch

ch        chain

dc        double crochet

w/        with

tr          triple crochet

sk         skip

beg      beginning

lp         loop

rnd       round

rep       repeat

Directions:

Ch 12.  sl st in 1st ch to form loop.

Rnd 1: ch 3, 2 dc, ch 3, (5 dc, ch 3) 4 times, 2 dc, join w/ sl st to top of ch 3.

Rnd 2: ch 3, dc in ea of nxt 2 dc, *(2 tr, ch 3, 2 tr) in nxt ch 3, dc in ea of nxt 5 dc. Repeat from * 4 times, dc in last 2 dc. Join w/ sl st to top of ch 3.

Rnd 3: *(sk 1 dc, dc in nxt st, ch 3) twice, (tr, ch 3, tr) in nxt ch 3 lp. Ch 3. (dc in nxt dc, ch 3, sk 1 dc) twice, sc in nxt dc, ch 3. repeat from * around but do not sc in last sc.  Join as before.

Rnd 4: *(ch 2, dc in same st, sl st in nxt dc) 3 times, (ch 2, dc in same st, sl in 2nd ch of nxt ch 3 lp), ch 2, dc in same ch as sl st, sl st in nxt dc, (ch 2, dc in same st, sl st in nxt dc) 3 times, ch 2, dc in same st, sl st in nxt sc. Repeat from * around. Join as before.

Rnd 5: sl st up to the top of the first point, ch 1, *sc in dc at top of point, ch 22. repeat from * around. Join w/ sl st to 1st sc.

Rnd 6:  ch 1, sc in same st, sc in ea ch around. Join w/ sl st to ch 1.  (for a slightly different look, you can make 22 sc in the ch-22 loop instead of making the sc’s in the chains. Be sure to sc in the top of each point also.)

Rnd 7: ch 2, dc in nxt sc and in ea sc around. Join w/ sl st to ch 2.

Rnd 8: repeat Rnd 7.

Rnd 9: ch 1, sc in ea st. round.

For altar pentacle, break off and fasten here. For a hanging pentacle, before you break off, ch 12 for hanging loop and sl st in same st at the base of ch-12 and then break off and fasten.

Copyright © ~ May, 2006 Katydid

(updated 3-2008: It will round out better if you add at least one more round of dc, preferably two, before you finish off with the sc round. P.S. photo not updated.)

post-15526-135897539186_thumb.jpg

Edited by Katy_Ravensong
errors

Katy, I am trying to work on this pattern and wonder if someone has tested it for you. I am having trouble with row 3 because there are too many ch3 spaces.

Theresa

I will try and make another one as soon as my hands will let me. It's been quite some since I've worked with anything this small. Thanks for the heads-upl

I still haven't been able to try this again because my hands have been so stiff. However, I have made quite a few of these and I did it by following my written pattern. When I do it again (as soon as I can) I will do it as if I were someone seeing it for the first time. It's been so long since I made one, it will feel like it is.