Stitch sizing

tanner_mady_mom

Question

I was making a afghan for a friend of mine but my gauge is way too tight. What can I do to increase my gauge. One of my friends crochet a couple rows of double crochet and then I did the same. Same hook size and everything but 2 rows of mine was like a row and a half of hers. I have never been good at crocheting loose so any ideas?

3 answers to this question

Make a gauge swatch first to be sure your gauge is going to be the right size. If not, then go up a hook size until you get the right size to fit the gauge. Save your swatches then eventually you'll have enough to make a pet 'ghan or even a full size 'ghan.

Everyone is right on. You just need to use a larger hook to get the same effect. Nothing wrong with that if you have no problems other than the gauge. My daughter crochets tightly too. She sometimes has trouble getting the hook into her stitches because they are so tight. Another thing to consider - are you working the stitches at the "hook" or bringing them up onto the body, which is the actual size of the hook? It will give you two different size stitches, but you must do it the same way throughout or your piece will be uneven.

Archived