Felting thrift store unraveled sweater/bag

Robi

So I bought a 100% wool black sweater ww yarn. I washed it and hung it to dry. Then I unraveled it. Then I crocheted a bag in sc with P/11.5 hook. Put it thru 4 wash cycles with soap at 1hr 40 min cycle each time. Still did not felt. I am so frustrated. I was so excited to do the unraveling and recycyle yarn. I did read a LOT on felting on here and Rav. I even boiled it on the stove for 10 min and plunged into cold cold water 3 times. Then washed in on long cycle again. I had 2 pr jeans and 2 pr of tennis shoes in with the bag. Bag was in lingerie bag. I keep reading how is just takes "minutes". I have a front loader. I even added very hot water to the wash load once. :angry

What kind of soap did you use? I use baking soda (about 1/4 cup per load) and a squirt of Ivory Dishsoap. If your PH is off it can make it harder to felt. Another problem is the front loader - most people have problems getting anything to felt with one. I've never plunged my items in cold water either, that stops the felting process.

Yes it was 100% wool on label. Other forums suggested plunging into cold. Even if that did stop the felting process, the previous other washes should have felted it. Just got rid of two other sweaters and destashed all my thrift store wool yarn. I am done.

The tag may have said 100% wool, but I bet it was superwash wool....that won't felt. I can't imagine that if it was regular wool, after all you did to it, it still wouldn't felt....

The tag may have said 100% wool, but I bet it was superwash wool....that won't felt. I can't imagine that if it was regular wool, after all you did to it, it still wouldn't felt....

Agreed. It couldn't have been the right kind of wool. I'm sorry you worked so hard and it didn't turn out for you! :hug

I am making a felted bag with my Crochet Guild group. Using Cascade 220. I will feel so much better when I see a FO. I am thinking that the yarn from sweaters are probably superwash........

Archived