Washing finished work...

The baby blanket I'm making is for a friend whose husband is very allergic to cats. I have 3 cats and also with my constant companion being a Basset Hound who insists on always laying on my lap, my squares smell a bit like dog. So it's a given that my finished work will have to be washed before sending it out to her. So how do you all wash your finished work? Do you put it in a pillow case before putting it in the washer? Also, for drying I have no place at all to lay it flat to dry, so could I dry it in the pillowcase on low heat? Also, a pillowcase may be too small. So what do I do??? I've never finished a single project so I've never gone through this before. Help, please!

I wash all things I make that are gifts. The label on the yarn should have washing instructions. The wonderful group of people here should be able to tell you how to launder it. But we need to know what kind of yarn you used.

I wash all things I make that are gifts. The label on the yarn should have washing instructions. The wonderful group of people here should be able to tell you how to launder it. But we need to know what kind of yarn you used.

Vanna's Choice. Thank you!!

Vanna's choice washes up well, in my experience. This is how I wash crocheted object: Place baby blanket in a large mesh bag (I bought a large mesh "laundy bag" with a drawsting and toggle close at the Dollar Tree. It is large enough to put a sweater my size or a baby blanket in, maybe 24 inchs by 36 inches). The mesh bag helps keep the yarn looking nice and not pilling.

Wash in cool water on a delicate cycle (if you have one, I don't, and just use my "regular cycle" which has been okay so far) then tumble dry on low, checking about every 10-15 minutes to make sure that the blanket isn't dry ( you don't want to over dry it) Hope this helps.

I don't use a bag. I just wash on delicate cycle using woolite. Then dry on low.

I do the same thing. Although I may try to get a mesh bag. I found after numerous washings (over the course of a year or longer), the yarn starts to get fuzzy. But for one washing, I'd just use woolite on gentle.

Good luck! :)

Thanks everyone! I have a couple weeks until I'm at that point but it hit me yesterday that, of course, I have to wash it and then I realized I didn't know how!!

Thank you!

Archived