What is this called please?

Sandystitch

Some time ago I saw a little gadget which I think might help me with my tension.

Unfortunately, I cannot find it in my 'favourites' and can't find a picture anywhere as I can't remember what the darn thing is called!

It looked like a ring which is worn I think on the pinky finger, with a spring or something which is where the yarn is threaded through and you can adjust the tightness to change the tension.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?:think

I saw something that fit that description at Joannes, I think they called

it a crochet/knitters thimble, it was a spring shaped thing with a piece that stuck up to thread the yarn through.

Thanks Avalen, I had a look at the Joannes site - it's not quite what I remember but might be a second choice. Unfortunately Joanne's don't ship internationally (I'm in the UK).

The gadget I remember had the means to change the tension - like a little wheel or something. I'll have another search through my folders to see if I can unearth it.

Looking at all the wonderful craft things available in the US makes me (and I suspect many others) very envious of the US crafters - we really are not well-served this side of the pond.:(

Patternworks has them and they are for tension,it is in their latest catalog. They call it the Cro-Knit Tension Keeper and they sell it for $8.99. :) They do ship overseas but it is expensive.

Patternworks has them and they are for tension,it is in their latest catalog. They call it the Cro-Knit Tension Keeper and they sell it for $8.99. :) They do ship overseas but it is expensive.

That's it! Thank you. I tried Patternworks but couldn't see it on their site but did find it at Herrschners, although the shipping would be a ridiculous price for such a tiny item. They won't ship overseas anyway unless the order exceeds $50 - and even if they would it works out to something like $20 shipping for something that weighs a couple of ounces!

Cannot track it down in the UK at all, although I did find the Knitters Thimble here, so will probably try that. Much easier when you know what something is called!

Hmm I found it by typing Cro-Knit Tension Keeper right into their search function. Much bigger picture than in the catalog. The shipping charges are as follows in case you are interested:

Add $15.00 to these charges for overseas shipping.

Purchases up to $10.00..............$2.50

$10.01 to $25.00....$5.50

$25.01 to $40.00....$6.50

$40.01 to $55.00....$7.50

$55.01 to $70.00....$8.50

Over $70.00..........$9.50

Hope this helps,maybe you could find something else in their catalog to make it worth it,not sure what the rate of exchange is right now so maybe not. Good luck! :)

Found it now on Patternworks, but how on earth they (and Herrschners) can justify those postage charges is beyond me. It only weighs an ounce or so, popped into a little jiffy envelope, it could go as a letter surely.

I've ordered the Norwegian knitting thimble from a UK shop so will see how I get on with that, but I really did want this cro-knit as it's adjustable! Oh well, perhaps one day I'll come across one a bit closer to home.

Thanks very much for your help though - at least I know the correct name of what I want:)

I saw something that fit that description at Joannes, I think they called

it a crochet/knitters thimble, it was a spring shaped thing with a piece that stuck up to thread the yarn through.

Yes, i also agree with you, you really give right and best solution.

Thanks

Archived