Question about Vannas Choice Contest

Sorry this is a long one...

can anyone help me to understand the rules?:think

It says "Create your entry using any pattern you choose or design and create your own pattern. you must however supply info. as to origin of pattern. it may be from a book, another yarn company etc. All projects must be original work of entrant and must not infringe on any third party intellectual property rights including copyright, right of privacy, or publicity, moral rights or any other rights of any third party."

My question is this: I plan on using a pattern that I saw in a Leisure Arts leaflet. It will be a different color than the one pictured. The rules state that I can use a pattern from a book as long as I state the origin but then it goes on to say it must be an original work and not infringe on copyrights...What do I do?:think

I think when it says it must be original work, it means you have to crochet it yourself.

As far as intellectual rights, i don't know. does the leaflet say how you can use the patterns? often a pattern will say you can't sell items without crediting the designer for example. don't think I've ever seen one that says you can't use the design to make something to enter in a contest;)

• 2 weeks later...
I think when it says it must be original work, it means you have to crochet it yourself.

As far as intellectual rights, i don't know. does the leaflet say how you can use the patterns? often a pattern will say you can't sell items without crediting the designer for example. don't think I've ever seen one that says you can't use the design to make something to enter in a contest;)

This is the way I understood it as well. I am entering the afghan section, but I decided to use one of my own patterns instead of using a pattern from someone else. However, before I decided to use my own pattern, I understood it to mean that if someone used someone else's pattern, they needed to give the proper information about who the pattern did belong to and where it had been published and when (which magazine, which issue, the name of a book or whatever). The work on it had to be your own, meaning it had to be crocheted completely and only by the person who entered it. I could be wrong, though. This is the first contest I've ever entered, so admittedly I don't have any experience with deciphering contest rules and regulations.

I understand it the same as the other two posters. You can use a published pattern provided rights are granted. If its in a magazine, normally that's ok. Considering you are working from a leaflet, perhaps contact that person and find out their thoughts on using it.

The other part pretty much means make it yourself fully without any help from anyone else. If necessary, you could sit in a room alone and completely re-do the project (with necessary pattern) with no problems. :)

-cris

Archived