crochet in round help

crochetcrazy

Question

Help!!

I'm crocheting my first 'in the round' and run into some trouble.

Everythings fine for about 6 rounds...then the round starts to get wavey instead of flat after a few more rounds it starts to ruffle instead of getting bigger, flat and round. :blush

So is it the increase thing? I'm still doing the 1dc/2dc sequence that third or fouth round ended with...:)

What am I missing here? Thanks for the help!!:Y

10 answers to this question

I usually start doing 1dc, 1dc, 2dc, in the third row or so, then 1dc, 1dc, 1dc, 2dc, in the fourth, etc. Alter it around as you need to keep it laying flat, but remember to do the same exact thing all the way around or it will get wavy.

Thanks for of you for your help. I did it and it works! And I just kept increasing the 1dc in each round, I hope that's right.

Anyway, was thinking of making a hat but maybe use it in a top or something.

Thanks again

Thanks!

I went there and it did help me understand it alot better.

Another question...how do you take round and make it a square to add to it? Like if I wanted to make a top or table runner out of the round.

Also...anyone know how to make those scalloped edges?

They look so cool!

The coaster by Pam from the inaugural project has great instructions for the scalloped edging around her dishcloth.

Edging: Ch 2, skip st, 5 dc in next st, skip st, (sc in next st, skip st, 5 dc in next st, skip st) around, fasten off.

Hope this is what you are looking for!

Chelle

Oh yes, the round to square thing...all you need to do is start adding edges to 4 sides. Let's see if I can think of a good example.

Let me get my hook and yarn and put something together quickly so I can explain it better. I know I made a pattern when I first started crocheting that started out round and became square. Unless someone else can think of something off the top of their head, cause I cant - my mind must be |I

Chelle

Ok, I did up a quick swatch. I did 3 rows of round and 2 rows of square around it. You would take the number of stitches in your last round (mine was 36), minus 4 for the corners (32) and divide by 4 (for the sides), giving me 8 stitches for each side. I started my corner by doing 2 dc, ch1, 2dc but you could really use any corner pattern you like. Then I dc in the next 8 stitches, did my corner, etc. Same for the next round, corner, dc in the next 12 stitches, corner, etc. The square should look more straight (or more square looking) with the more rounds you add with your corners.

roundtosquare.jpg

If you wanted to do a rectangle instead of a square, you would minus 4 from your number of stitches for the corners, then you would want your top and bottom of the square to have the same number of stitches, and your 2 sides to have the same number of stitches but more stitches than the top and bottom. So for me, I would do 6 and 10 or 4 and 12, that sort of thing depending on how much difference you want.

I hope this helps!

Chelle

WOW..you guys are fast! Take a big :bow

All of these instructions help alot:jump and especially the picture :woohoo

Thanks so much, now I can get started putting these ideas together:Y I attempting a tank top using all these ideas.

Archived