Craft Show Pricing

Hi all!

How do you know how to price your stuff? I feel as though some of the older posts I have read ... prices were way too cheap. For instance...infant hats $6. I have done some infant and toddler hats and I feel like that is way to cheap of a price. I am using a wool mix plus eyelash yarn and ribbon and they take me about 2-4 hours each. ...$6....ugh. That is just one example though. I specialize in bags and I know there will be a huge range but is there any reference on where to start?

Do people usually try and negotiate? I am totally willing there too.

I just do not want to look completely stupid this being my first show.

Thanks!

Liane,

Research comparable items online. (Etsy to Ebay..etc) There's a formula for professional business crocheters that includes material cost, hourly wage, overhead costs. Consumers can be finicky...paying high $$$ for lip balm covers and wanting to pay next to nothing on items much larger with higher material cost. Demand and supply also plays a role. The type of craft show also plays a role as to the type of consumer it attracts. Flea market style attracts bargain hunters. Best of luck! smile

IDK. Despite all the work that goes into your items, you'll find that people want bargains and aren't willing to pay a lot. My crocheted santa pins that I priced for $2 each- sold -as well as my Kanzashi jewelry for $8 a set or $5 a piece. I sold one sewn Santa doll for $8 and a crocheted motiff headband for $5. I sold various handmade items but none of my items that were priced over $10 sold. I cleared the table fee and made only a profit of $30 to $40 which paid for gas. At least I was selling items. Many other vendors sold nothing at all even though there were many people walking around, looking.

A woman vendor on the other side had beautiful crocheted afghans for $40 each ; crocheted hats for $15 each and although people were looking, no one seemed interested in buying. Even though I felt her prices were a steal, none of her items sold.

i usually charge four times my wool cost but i also check everywhere to make sure my prices are in line. just because you choose an expensive yarn does not mean people will pay accordingly.most people just want ideas.....will buy for more at a store or go home and make it them selves. good luck and hopefully lots of profit

Not everyone will pay the price for the expensive yarns also a lot of people who do the crafts themselves are not necessary going to buy them at that price. People will tend to look and buy more at a reasonable price with economy the way it is people are looking for bargins. It is better to have different price ranges that way there will be more of a selection. You never totally get back what you make weather yarn or hours spent.

Archived