Would this be a good idea?

Would it be a good idea to include a small hook with the afghan I'm giving my mom for Christmas? It's all granny squares and I just washed it and I had to tuck ten or so ends in. I don't think it'll fall apart :lol but I'm a little worried about the ends. I know I didn't leave long enough tails. I'm still learning and really didn't think I needed to weave all 6" of those ends. She wouldn't have her own hook so I'm thinking of including one with the instructions to tuck, not snip! I just wonder if it looks like I'm giving her something shoddy with the expectation that it'll fall apart. It turned out very pretty and I'd almost keep it for myself and make her a new one...but that would be silly :P.

I also made a ripple for my father and that turned out perfectly, only one end popped out. I have a feeling though he'll be keeping it as his shop for tv time, and it'll end up covered with sawdust and cat hair :lol. But I knew he'd want one too and he's the type that would ask where his was.

I usually use a tapestry needle which is large and weave and sew the ends in after I have done any crochet item. Tapestry need looks like a very large sewing needle with a large eye in it. I recommend that you weave ends in so that you feel better that the ends are secure. Just a thought.

Another thought if the ends are short take the same color and try to sew them down with yarn to keep them flatten I use that method too when I have a short end to weave in. With using the afghan you will find that the ends do tend to pop out more by sewing them down with same color yarn makes it stronger. Hope this helps.

I gave a sweater shaver with a simply soft ghan once. There's nothing wrong with telling a person how to care for their gift.

I think at this point your best bet would be a drop of flexible fabric glue on the ends.

Next time weave at least 4 inches of tail thru. The way I do my ends and they stay great is: I crochet over it for about 7 sts (at least 4) and leave the rest for later. Then I go back with a tapestry needle and weave it back thru the other way. The best thing you can do when weaving back is to actually go thru the center of the end. That'll lock it into place.

Do we get to see a pic of your ghan?

ps - When I gift ghans as gifts I include a small ball of each color just in case it ever needs repairs. With the short ends on it - it would be a really good idea if you did this too.

I've never thought of doing this. It's such a great idea.

I gave a sweater shaver with a simply soft ghan once. There's nothing wrong with telling a person how to care for their gift.

I think at this point your best bet would be a drop of flexible fabric glue on the ends.

Next time weave at least 4 inches of tail thru. The way I do my ends and they stay great is: I crochet over it for about 7 sts (at least 4) and leave the rest for later. Then I go back with a tapestry needle and weave it back thru the other way. The best thing you can do when weaving back is to actually go thru the center of the end. That'll lock it into place.

Do we get to see a pic of your ghan?

Thanks for the help! I think I will use some fabric glue if anymore pop out. I'd give her some extra yarn but I don't think she'd know what to do with it! It would most likely come back to me for repairs.

Here's a pic:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/winterlights08/Crochet/IMG_0359.jpg

I hope she likes it and doesn't mind that it's all one color. She saw the one I made for myself (a few different colors) and she loved those colors and hinted that she'd love an afghan for Christmas. I had to hint back that there was one already in the works. I took some scrap yarn to her house one day and matched it up with her sofa. It's going to look really nice :yay.

Thanks for the help! I think I will use some fabric glue if anymore pop out. I'd give her some extra yarn but I don't think she'd know what to do with it! It would most likely come back to me for repairs.

The balls of yarn aren't for her to fix it some day. It's so that just in case some day it needs repairs you don't have to remember what brand or color or God forbid - the company stops making it and you can't get what you need.

The first ghan I made my Mom - I made the mistake of snipping the ends way too short. She kept it on the back of her recliner so it got a lot of use even just being lain on. The ends didn't hold up.

It was great when she asked me to fix it because she kept the balls of yarn. I didn't have to go looking years later for a yarn to hopefully match - I used what it was actually made from. Now you can't tell where it's been repaired at all.

That ghan is GORGEOUS!!!!!

I would definitely give it with at least a baseball sized ball. If all those ends are short you might have repairs to do later. Consider it a learning experience. Definitely go with the flexible fabric glue. Once you wash it you should get a bunch of popped ends.

Archived