Needing some help...

I am looking for something that pins on your shirt to help keep the tension while some one is crocheting...I have looked everywhere for one. It is for my SIL that had a stroke.

Hello and welcome, SoccerMom! While I haven't found a device that is made to pin to one's shirt, perhaps this finger yarn guide from Herrschners could be pinned on in some way, if it wouldn't work on your SIL's finger. I hope you're able to find what you are looking for.

P.S....They also have this tension guide...Actually, this one is made for tension and will probably suit your needs better, while the other is suppose to keep your yarn separate(?).

I'd read about Portuguese knitting using a pin, info here http://www.andreawongknits.com/index.html

and pins for sale here

http://www.andreawongknits.com/notions.html

Does that resemble what you are looking for?

And in the same vein as magiccrochetfan's referred to 'Portuguesee knitting pin'...here's an entry that shares a couple of ideas on how to make your own 'knitting pendant' that would serve a similar purpose (using a weighted pendant with a plastic hook that socks are often sold on, or the like): http://knitforbrains.net/2009/09/20/cool-new-idea-for-portuguese-knitting-pinhook/

Oh yes, and in reading the comments section on that page, there's mention of obtaining tension simply by working with the yarn around the back of your neck...I once saw my SIL's neighbor, from the Ukraine, knitting like that.

I’m a poor guy, so your need got me thinking---that’s always dangerous--- I tried a couple of things at hand that might work. You didn’t explain how much/ little use she has with her off hand. I tried to make some stitches with minimal use of my left hand (I’m right handed). I found I could use a large toothed comb. I think you could hold the comb stationary using a large binder clamp to attach it to a sleeve or shirt or bed linens (available at any office supply) if the hand and arm are positional then the comb might also be attached to the arm using rubber bands, or elastic. I tried using my left hand as just a feeding bridge for the yarn to rest on as the yarn is being worked with my right. I found I needed something on which the yarn might lie near the right hand and hook. I suppose that the left hand can be positioned, perhaps on top of a pillow, or it the left hand cannot be used at all. I found that by running the yarn between a couple of the tines on the comb, as if you were weaving the yarn between the tines. The more tension needed the more tines of the comb can be used.

I also tried using just a clothespin. Running the yarn through the space between the two wooden sections of the pin. It didn’t work well with worsted weight yarn, though it might work with more bulky.

I also thought one could hot-glue a safety pin to a piece of plastic of the kind like the top of a tub of oleo. The symbol below is for that type of plastic. Several different size holes for different sizes of yarn. I hope I have explained what I’m trying to describe. If you have any questions let me know through a PM. John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

Archived