Help! Alpine Frost Scarf, Interweave Crochet Winter 2008

scullybubbles322

Question

Hi Everyone,

I fell in love with the Alpine Frost Scarf from Interweave Crochet's Winter 2008 magazine and want to make it for my mom for Christmas. However, this is the first time I've tried to crochet with lace weight yarn and I seem to be having a lot of problems. Has anyone else tried this pattern? Maybe I just need suggestions for crocheting with such a fine weight yarn.

The pattern says to use a D hook. I usually crochet very tightly and have to go up at least 2 hook sizes to get the correct gauged (so I've attempted it with a D, E, and F hook and still I'm having issues).

What is the proper tension to hold the yarn? My chains don't look very tight and it's hard for me to recognize my stitches. I realize that this pattern looks "normal" after blocking so I should expect to see something that doesn't look like the picture before I block it.

I'm frustrated, but not giving up!

Any pointers? Has anyone else tried this pattern?:think

4 answers to this question

I will probably not be much help but I want to cheer you on :cheer with the project.

One thing I would probably do is to make a swatch of the stitch pattern and then block it. that way you will know for sure how it will look when completed, and since it will most likely be beautiful, that will give you inspiration for working on the scarf itself.

What type of yarn are you using? I have some teeny laceweight wool that I have done very little with, because it just wants to curl up on itself as I'm working with it.

Thanks for the cheering on! Oooo, yes that's a good idea to make a sample and then block it and use it as inspiration! I'm totally sure I have enough yarn.

I'm using skacel's Merino Lace (100% Fine Merino Wool). If I can actually make a swatch, I will post a picture. I've been looking on Ravelry for inspiration from other's people's work and all of theirs look SO much better than the "thing" I've created a few times hahaha.

I don't know that there is any "proper" tension. You want to work to the gauge specified in the pattern. Lace weight is indeed not easy to crochet with. If nothing else works, here's an off-the-wall suggestion: Buy matching sewing thread and carry a strand along with the lace weight. Shouldn't increase the size much but will make it a bit firmer. Swatch first of course to make sure you like the look.

Jean Leinhauser

Is the pattern a complicated one? If I'm making something in a lace weight yarn in a complicated pattern, I often make a swatch in a larger weight, like fingering or dk. That lets me get comfortable with the pattern, and lets me clearly see the architecture of both the stitches and the pattern without having to strain to see it in a tiny thread. Sometimes I make, say, a small scarf in a dk or fingering yarn, and then make the full-size project using the lace weight yarn. I too usually need to go up 2 or 3 hook sizes, so I've acquired a wardrobe of the Clover SoftTouch hooks, which are more comfortable to hold in the very small sizes. Finally, if the pattern doesn't include a clear picture of the finished piece, I try to find one online and print it for reference as I work. Saves me a lot of tears as I'm left-handed and have to do everything sort of backwards. I hope some of this helps, o' brave fellow crocheter. 😸