please help with pattern re-sizing

Janabear

Question

i love this poncho, but i would like to make it shorter in length, say just to waist length. and ribbon yarn. it says to chain 82 in the beginning chain. i am not sure how many chains i can subtact and still use the stitch used..........hope this makes sense:)

any help would be appreciated.

oh, an i want to used either incredible yarn, matrix, or trellis. not sure what hooks to used if change the yarn..........:blush

thanks so much!!!!!

4 answers to this question

The yarn label should tell you what size hook to use for the yarn. If it's the same size hook that the pattern calls for, you shouldn't have to change the pattern stitches at all. For example, the poncho uses Caron Simply Brite and an H hook. LB Incredible suggests either a P or K hook if making the scarf on the label. Therefore the Incredible is considered a thicker yarn although a ribbon & requires a bigger hook. You would need to decrease the stitches for sure if using Incredible. You could go to both sites (Caron & LB) and check what they consider their yarns to be (whether bulky, sportweight, etc) and get the gauge for each and compare the two. Then work from there. If it were me, I would just wing it if it were for myself.

thanks cheryl,

i think i might just make one with incredible or something like that and do dc instead and 'wing' it as far as width goes. i will check the sites, thanks!

The stitch used, trellis, seems pretty simple. Basically, that poncho is just a square of mesh folded in half and seamed up the sides...

The only place I was able to find a formula for the trellis stich was here [warning:pdf file] at the bottom, where they made a correction to a pattern from Hip to Crochet.

There, they state that the trellis stitch in rows uses a multiple of 4 + 3 (add 3 for base chain) BUT - although it looks similar at a quick glance, those number don't work with the 82 given in the pattern.

Personally, I would use IK's direction to just mak a rectangle as big as you want, then finish as described in the pattern.

Does that make sense?

thanks for the help!!! i think i am going to make a different one for now. i have a swawl pattern with a trellis stitch in glitterspun that i like a bit more. i might make the poncho for the fall in moonlight mohair (saw it make with it on a mycrochetblog.com blog and it looked good)

thanks again!

Archived