Gauge

tnlefty

Question

I need to know how to figure my crochet "gauge" when it isn't given on the yarn packaging. For example:

Red Heart Soft - worsted weight 4 ply:

for knitting it calls for 81S x 24R to make a 4 x 4 swatch

It doesn't say how to figure my guage with the "H" hook:think :think

Thanks for the help.

4 answers to this question

What I usually do is pick a number of stitches at random (say, 20) and do several rows with that number of stitches, and then measure the finished product. Helps if you know already what stitch you plan to use in your project. Not much sense in figuring your gauge over single-crochets if you're going to use double crochets.

IMO, the gauge on the yarn label is fairly useless. We all have a different tension, so what they put on the pattern is only an approximation to begin with. Even if it had a crochet gauge, there'd be no guarantee your gauge would be the same. Also, most professional patterns have instructions for a gauge swatch, so always check there first.

Thanks Sabra,

What you said makes a lot of sense. I called Coats and Clark and they told me to always use an "I" hook and do 12 across and 15 rows for a 4 x 4 swatch. :think That didn't make sense to me.

You might want to apply to answer their help line:hook

A crocheted or knitted stitch is not square. It is usually wider than it is high so that is why there is usually more rows than stitches for your square.It is best to make a bigger square and measure your 4 inch square in the middle. Gives a more accurate measure.:think :think

Unless I am making something that really needs to fit, I dont bother with making swatches, I just start what I am making and measure that if I do not like how it feels. That way, if it is OK, you have done a fair bit of your pattern.

The other thing is, do you make the swatch of the pattern stitch?

Crochet is a little more forgiving than knitting so a swatch is not so important.

Practice makes perfect, that is the secret, I always asy, though, "If you want it perfect, get it made in a factory by a robot."

Have fun.

Colleen:hug :hug

Archived