Perfect Pony pattern question

junie's mom

Question

Has anyone made the 'Perfect Pony' pattern available on the web?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/perfectpony.html

I am desperately trying to make 3 of these and have hit a snag. On the body part of the pattern (neck/body), row 16 doesn't make a lot of sense to me or my crocheting friends. I have looked for a correction to the pattern but cannot find one.

If any of you crocheting experts can help me understand that part of the pattern, I would greatly appreciate it.

My nieces want a pony and a zebra and since I can't find a free zebra pattern for crocheting, I figured I would alter this pattern for her. I'm stuck and even though I've been crocheting for 40 years, can't seem to figure it out!

HELP!!:eek:thair

18 answers to this question

I think the chain is the pony's back, and you crochet down one side of chain around the neck (row 15) then down the opposite side of chain, and continue in rounds from there. So your rounds will be the back and chest of the pony to the tummy which you sew closed.

I made this a few years ago. It is as stated in the other posts. You start by making the neck part by going around for 15 rnds, then do the chain and go back across the chain, then work around the stitches that  you already did, then  work on the other side of the chain . You will now be making the body off of the neck. It looks strange when doing it but does work out. 

I don’t know of anywhere else to find the pattern except the now OOP magazine it came from. It is on line but unfortunately the one who put it is not the designer and she doesn't even give the proper credit.
In the last photo I have turned it to show where you start the chain from the neck and how you will be working to get the body.

Another thing I forgot to mention. when you are doing the rounds they don't start and end even like a lot of patterns do so you have to follow the numbers instead.

Welcome to Crochetville!

I can see where rnd 16 would be confusing.  You may just need a fresh pair of eyes.  I THINK I get it.  (Maybe guessing)

At the end of rnd 15, you have a tube with 30 stitches around.  Rnd 16: Ch 21, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 19 ch sts, sc in each of next 30 sc in Rnd 15, working across opposite side of foundation ch, sc in each of next 20 ch sts, sc in end sc ( 71 sc ), do NOT join but work in a spiral as before.

1. Chain 21 (Chain sticks out out of the tube.)
  2. SC in 2nd chain from the hook and each of next 19 chains (Go down the chain to the tube.)
  3. SC in each of next 30 sc in rnd 15. (Go around the tube until you reach the chain again.)
  4. Working across opposite side of foundation ch, sc in each of next 20 ch stitches. (Go back up the chain using the strand(s) that you didn't use in step 2.)
  5. SC in end SC (SC at the end of the chain, to set you up for going back towards the tube along the stitches made in step 2.)
  6. do NOT join but work in a spiral as before (Next round will take you down the chain in the stitches made in step 2, around the tube, and back up the chain in the stitches made in steps 4 & 5.  The chain will now be part of the spiral.)

That's my interpretation.  I happen to love doing ami, but some patterns do things that don't make sense until much later.  My rule with ami is follow the pattern exactly and just keep going, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.  I hope this helps!

after starting this 3 separate times and trying to follow the pattern from the chain 21, about to give up.

wondering if she even wanted anyone to be able to understand the pattern. Wish it was on YouTube so we could see if we were following it ok.

after starting this 3 separate times and trying to follow the pattern from the chain 21, about to give up.

wondering if she even wanted anyone to be able to understand the pattern. Wish it was on YouTube so we could see if we were following it ok.

Thank you thank you thank you!! Carrie, you are a genius!!!

I will try that and if I get stuck again, I will post pictures and beg for more help!

Thank you everyone!:nworthy

Cheryl

Yes and no Carrie. I don't see anywhere in the pattern that tells me to join it together to form the body so I am confused if I am doing it right or not.

If anyone has a better pony pattern....please share. I'm running out of time. Or a zebra pattern would work also.

I feel so stupid on this right now.

Rnd 16: Ch 21, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 19 ch sts, sc in each of next 30 sc in Rnd 15, working across opposite side of foundation ch, sc in each of next 20 ch sts, sc in end sc ( 71 sc ), do NOT join but work in a spiral as before.

My guess is you are working out across the back of the pony. See you chain out sc back in the chain then around the 30 sc of rnd 15, then out the other side of the chain.

Does that help?

Am I crazy or does this chain just kind of stick out there in the air? It states I am to work it in rounds (like the neck) but.....am I going to have a neck and this wide 'extra' piece just kind of out there? I am confused as to how this becomes the body.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the pattern or I've been trying too hard but I can't see how this will become the body.

I made the head working in rounds - no problem. I made the neck and up until round 16, no problem. It just seems to me to be a chain that leads to....where?

Anyone care to try to untangle the mess I call my mind and pattern understanding?:think

It looks like there is an error in the stitch count. You are adding 6 stitches in this round, when added to the stitch count from round 15 the count for this round should be 42 not 43. Was that your problem?

she's past the head, carrie, and working on the neck/body.

would like to know what part she's confused about.

It looks like there is an error in the stitch count. You are adding 6 stitches in this round, when added to the stitch count from round 15 the count for this round should be 42 not 43. Was that your problem?

Archived