Design Software/Graphics Software

EugeneClarence

Question

I am fairly accomplished at using a PC for business purposes. However, I am a novice when it comes to design software or programs that create graphics. I would be very interested in any information about useful design software. I also want to know how symbol crochet graphs and schematics are created. Any thoughts are welcome.

EugeneClarence

8 answers to this question

Here's the programs I have:

Crochet Designs and Knitware Design of this I have the Basic program, skirts & shawls program & sweater programs (3 different programs). I find them all pretty easy to use & helpful. They aren't for a Mac tho so you will need a PC. I also have a program called "Pattern Designer - Crochet" by Fraucomp Software but it's several years old and very similar to Crochet Designs which is by SandCastle Designs. I don't think the Fraucomp version is available any longer.

For two of the picture afghans I made, I used a software program called Instant Stitch.

It is basically for cross stitch,and such, but If you use the block form and in black and white, you get a good graph for your filet or such. You make it the size you want, and it automatically fits the picture into the squares.

Only problem is that it cost about $40.00 plus shipping. I got mine from www.joann.com .

That is another way to go for graphs.:hook

I had forgotten all about PCStitch! I get an online newsletter from PatternsOnline.com and in the July issue, it has a special code to get PCStitch for 50% off....$19.95 just by putting in this special code

We have arranged for you to be able to purchase the full version of PCStitch 7 for only $19.95!

This represents a 50% savings off the regular price of this great software.

You can change symbols and colors in the patterns you have purchased from PatternsOnline, create patterns from your photos, or make your own designs from scratch!

Just visit http://www.pcstitch.com and use coupon code PCS78512 when placing your order. You will see the coupon discount of $20 applied to your order after submitting your address and payment information.

Don't miss this chance to get this great software at a great price, but hurry! This coupon is only valid until July 31, 2005!

So there ya go! I don't know why I didn't delete this email. It's just been sitting there since I got it. You can also get PC Stitch at Michael's and if you have their weekly 40% off coupon, it'll be around $25.

I actually just use my graphic program PSP7 (yes, I know there are newer versions, I just like the older one best, they are available at www.jasc.com ). I make a grid (sized one square per crochet stitch) , then draw a picture over top of it with another layer. Then I go back to the grid layer and fill in all the little squares with the colors I want. And for the really complicted ones, like my flames sweater....I used graph paper and colored pencils, lol. I just drew the outlines of the different parts (sleeves, front, back)onto the graph paper using one square for every hdc I would make. Sometimes I make things too technical when I am on the computer, if you get what I mean, so it's best for me to just turn the computer off and do things the old fashioned way. I prefer crocheting with pictures, but I haven't tried filet yet.

You might want to check out :

http://www.cochenille.com/stitch.html

It's pricey but, has lots of features. I think there is a demo download you can check out. I use it for designing hooked rugs & tapestries as well as crochet.

:) Alosha

Not too long ago, I was checking into all the programs. I wanted one that did the most of everything. I was even looking into knitting and other needle art programs. (There are a lot of filet programs out.) This was the one I found that looked like it was the best. I want to get the gold program, eventhough it's costly. I crochet clothes, but I don't want a program that tells me how to do it. A lot of crochet clothing programs do that. They write out the instructions for you. I want to be free with creating my designs. This one has a really nice grid that you can use. I was beginning to think that I was going to have to get a couple programs to get done all I wanted. I was even looking at sewing pattern programs. One thing that I have found out is no program that is affordable for personal use does the motifs in a circle. They are all back and forth, side to side. That was a great disapointment for me. I wanted a grid program that did the motifs like that. Sometimes, when you are writing out instructions for a motif it's hard to describe what you are trying to say. It can get confusing.

Does anyone know of a program that reads your instructions and corrects them? LOL. I would LOVE to have one of those!!

I have been looking at the programs that have been mentioned. Thanks so much for these suggestions. I can't seem to figure out if any of these programs have the ability to create a symbol chart of a design (or what is often referred to as a 'stitch diagram'). Maybe I am mixing apples and oranges. Do I need a graphics program instead of a design program to be able to create schematics and stitch diagrams? I am a real novice when it comes to this subject matter. For example, if I wanted to create this schematic, http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6750

or this stitch diagram,

http://www.manidifata.com/InRegalo.cfm?Cod=53&lingua=2

what would I use?

EugeneClarence

I have been looking at the programs that have been mentioned. Thanks so much for these suggestions. I can't seem to figure out if any of these programs have the ability to create a symbol chart of a design (or what is often referred to as a 'stitch diagram'). Maybe I am mixing apples and oranges. Do I need a graphics program instead of a design program to be able to create schematics and stitch diagrams? I am a real novice when it comes to this subject matter. For example, if I wanted to create this schematic, http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6750

or this stitch diagram,

http://www.manidifata.com/InRegalo.cfm?Cod=53&lingua=2

what would I use?

EugeneClarence

You're looking for what I was wanting, too. This program does the stitch diagram. http://www.cochenille.com/stitch.html That is why I wanted it. The Gold version is the one that does the stitch symbols. You can also make your own symbols with it. I'm not sure about the schematics. I figured on my own to get a builder's (blue print) program for things like that. I also build my motifs that way. SmartDraw has a trial version that you can try out. I pick a blank page, and build it up with the shapes that they give for options. You can make straight and curved lines, circles and such. I make my diagrams with that. I don't know if that's the best way, but it's worked for me so far, until I find something better.

Archived