Hook question

Guest TShell

Question

I have a pattern that calls for a 4.5mm crochet hook. I have 3 G's- 1 is 4.25mm the other 2 are 4.00 mm. Why does the same letter have different sizes? And I have been able to find ONE 4.5 hook (bamboo). What is going on? lol

I guess I should use the 4.25 for the pattern then? or just go for a 5mm hook and do it tight?

6 answers to this question

It might depend on the brand of hooks. You don't say but I'm guessing you've got hooks made by different manufacturers. I would swatch a 4x4 square to see how close you get to gauge, with which hook. Good luck~! :))

Hook Conversion Chart - which doesn't really answer your question but it's always good to have on hand.

You are right...the size 7 hook is 4.5mm and commonly referred to letter size G+.

On the Yarn Council website they are trying to get manufacturers of hooks to use the metric sizing, which is an actual measurement instead of just a letter (or to use both such as H/5mm.

Example:

S.Bates hooks vary in size from Boye hooks: a Bates size N hook shaft measures 10mm while a Boye size N hook shaft measures 8mm or 9mm (depending on what conversion chart one uses).

If one's pattern had the metric size listed (even along with the letter size) then the choice of hooks would be much easier for guage.

thanks, i just decided to use an H hook. It seemed to work up nicer than the G. (For the celebrity shawl).

Thanks for your help. I'll buy the 4.5mm for future use.

(and i did notice Susan Bates and Boye hooks differ... why is that.. its strange. I prefer Susan Bates hooks).

Archived