How to cut up aluminum cans for making crocheted hats

Guest 1NiteCat

Question

Guest 1NiteCat

Can anyone tell me how/what to use to cut apart aluminum cans to use in making the hats and bags that were so popular in the 60s and 70s? I know you use a paper punch to put holes all around the edge that you crochet into . . . any more info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Guest mishakitty78

Tin snips! Available in any hardware store from $13 to $20. They're wonderful for cutting metal, including cans.

Unfortunately...I don't think a paper punch is going to cut it, though (no pun intended :D! :ha ) I'm definitely going to try it, as my brain has cooked up some steller ideas to create (and, stuck in bad weather, I need stuff to do!). But I can't see how a hole punch - which is what I'm thinking of as a "paper punch" will cut aluminum. If I figure out a good way to do it, I'll let you know. I know there are drill bits which cut metal (my SO cut holes in a sword for me and it worked great...could work for cans, maybe, too?) He says he thinks they probably would work, but that'd probably be rather time consuming.

Let me know if you think of anything!

Melissa

He said to cut the holes, what you need is a leather punch. You should try hobby lobby, a tack shop or search on ebay. If you still can't find it, email me and he said he can make you one. (he's a machinist).:thumbsup

After you get the can cut a part with the tin snips the hole punch works very easily. You would be surprised at how thin the aluminum can is.

Archived