Differences in Vintage Boye steel hooks???

Gran

I thought hooklady had posted something on this, but I can't find it.

I have several made-in-the-USA Boye thread hooks which are marked with the size in mm, and several others which are marked with numbers.

How they've been stored and cared for determines much of their appearance, so I'm hesitant to venture which look older.

Could someone in-the-know say which ones are older, and anything about design or size changes?

Thanks very much!

:)

I love Boye hooks, they are all I use....I have lots of them and find that the older ones are Thinner in the Shank than the newer ones....I love the older ones and was making a tablecloth with one and lost it, I tried the newer ones in same size but just didn't gauge right, finally found an old one and it worked right (same size of course) Can't tell you about the mm or numbers sorry

Hi Gran,

Hooks with MM sizes on them were manufacturered after 1967. If the other hooks have a number on one side and 'Boye' on the other they were made from 1917 to 1925.

Hope that helps.

I thought hooklady had posted something on this, but I can't find it.

I have several made-in-the-USA Boye thread hooks which are marked with the size in mm, and several others which are marked with numbers.

How they've been stored and cared for determines much of their appearance, so I'm hesitant to venture which look older.

Could someone in-the-know say which ones are older, and anything about design or size changes?

Thanks very much!

:)

Hooklady, thank you very much! :)

There are also ones with the numbers which have "Boye" on the same side. The other side says "Made in the U.S.A.".

There is also one marked "00 Boye 00" which has "U.S.A. - 15¢" on the reverse side.

Looks like I inherited several eras of hooks.

It'd be grand to have a hook encyclopedia, showing all the makes, designs, eras, sizes, etc.

There are also ones with the numbers which have "Boye" on the same side. The other side says "Made in the U.S.A.".

There is also one marked "00 Boye 00" which has "U.S.A. - 15¢" on the reverse side.

It'd be grand to have a hook encyclopedia, showing all the makes, designs, eras, sizes, etc.

My mom has one like this, too. She's got a big pouch full of steel hooks and I think some of them were her grandmother's. I remember asking her about that and she had no idea. Am curious to know about it, as well. :)

Gran,

To date Boye hooks with "Made in the U.S.A" I need to know if it is a large print or small print.

Boye hooks with the price printed on them were made from the 50's on. They started with 10 cents and go up from there. I don't know exactly when they changed from one price to another. Jean Leinhauser is a member of the 'ville and could probably give you more information as she used to work for Boye.

• 3 weeks later...

I just inherited a set of 18 Boye Stainless Steel hooks that have the Numbers on each side of the word Boye,,On the back "Made in USA in capital letters. All are in a black plastic case, that is in great shape except for the snap, which she taped because of tearing. She was 88 when she died. I can remember when she was in her 30's crocheting with these hooks. I also wonder when these were manufactured..

After searching.I just emailed the Company, to see if they could tell me when they were made or sold..

Archived