Quicksilver squeaky coating

jess315

Beware - I bought a case of these (Susan Bates Quicksilver crochet hooks in size range from B through K in grey vinyl folding case) online last year and noticed that they actually squeaked against the yarn. I have since replaced a couple with local purchases and found they do not squeak.

The hooks that squeak are stamped with MEXICO underneath the Susan Bates name, while the non-squeaking only say Susan Bates, a bit bigger, without country of manufacture.

The ones that do not squeak are made in India.

I have replaced and compared size H, J, & K and I am sure about this.

I wrote Coats & Clark suggesting that there was a manufacture defect in the Teflon coating, asking for a full replacement but we'll see if that goes anywhere at all. I have quicksilver afghan hooks made in Mexico also and tried out each one - some squeaked and some didn't. I think the factory ran out of Teflon and just used some gray paint. Would your yarn squeak if you rubbed it against your Teflon pan? nope.

Thanks,

j

Jess, when you first realized the problem with the squeaking, did you contact the online store from which you bought them? If you noticed the problem within the time limits for that store's return policy, they probably could have helped you right then.

I'm glad you've contacted Coats and Clark. They are a very reputable company, and I am sure they will respond to your concerns.

Edited to add: They may ask you to return the hooks that are squeaky so they will be able to evaluate them personally. If they do, they may not be able to send out replacements until they receive the defective ones. I know that's an inconvenience to all the honest customers out there and is sort of frustrating and irritating, but many companies are experiencing too much loss from dishonest customers. Some companies have to choose between asking for returns prior to sending out replacements so that only the few affected by problems are affected or sending replacements first, then when a good number of people fail to return items, increase their prices across the board for everyone to make up for the additional costs incurred.

yeah, i'm prepared to part with the squeakers if they need them.

so, I think the vendor was probably Herrshner's. During a buying spree I did last year I used various vendors. But here's the problem - i wasn't sure if the squeaking was bad or not because I had no previous experience with the Quicksilvers. It was like "the emperor's new clothes" syndrome, where I was making excuses for the hook that was supposed to be so awesome, like "oh, maybe it's because i'm using acrylic yarn". So it really did take me until yesterday to replace a lost size K, notice a big difference, and then looking back at the other 2 that I had individually purchased before I bought the case to confirm that there really was a problem. That's what happens when you buy something and don't take it out and examine it right away.

I hope this helps anyone else who may have wound up with a bad batch. Not trying to pick on Coats & Clark - if they make a crochet product, I probably own it!

I have Crystalites that squeak also, so I don't know if the problem is necessarily Teflon. I don't know.

I'm sorry the Quicksilvers were squeaky from the get-go

Squeakiness is an interesting phenomenon. I found that the brand new Crystallites were often squeakers. I ended up giving those away, more due to the bending than the squeaking, though.

I've had my Quicksilvers for four or five years. It just says Susan Bates on them, nothing about where they were made. Haven't had any problems with them squeaking.

In case this is of use, hooklady has posted some good info on care of hooks: cleaning, waxing, etc. Here are her recommendations for cleaning and waxing hooks: plastic, aluminum, and steel.

Here's one: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=468445&postcount=7

Another: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=348343&postcount=21

And: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=325512&postcount=7

And: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=290699&postcount=8

I use my Silvalumes most often, and find that cleaning and waxing them eliminates drag and squeaking. If one starts to have a problem, then I clean and wax, otherwise I just use them.

When I have hook problems, I just do a search for hooklady's posts in the Crochet Hook section of C'ville, and almost always find my answer.

Thanks for the warning about the other kind of Quicksilvers. I'll be careful and keep track of my good ones.

:):):)

I have Crystalites that squeak also, so I don't know if the problem is necessarily Teflon. I don't know.

yes, the Crystalites squeak. i still have mine anyway because they look so cool. i've since replaced the L - P sizes with the white plastic Susan Bates Luxite - non-squeaky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

update - they DID send a letter in the mail, but they got my complaint mixed up with someone else's about yarn dye lots. So if you're out there, you might have got my letter! I'll have to call them now.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a set of silverlumes, but not really noticed any squeaking. They are stamped as being made in Mexico, but no big deal... I usually listen to music when crocheting anyway, or am in a noisy environment like a city bus.

• 5 weeks later...
I just got a set of silverlumes, but not really noticed any squeaking. They are stamped as being made in Mexico, but no big deal... I usually listen to music when crocheting anyway, or am in a noisy environment like a city bus.

uhmm...Silvalume is the aluminum ones.

Quicksilver are different, Teflon-coated ones. I never see them at Micheal's/JoAnn's, only at LYS or online.

Archived