Knit and purl?

Ambersafghans

Question

9 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

Need more information.....like how to do them. The only knit and purl stitches in crochet I know of are in tunisian crochet.

I don't think that it would automtically make a knit pattern into a crochet pattern, though.

I think it would depend on a few things. Firstly, the Knit stitch of tunisian makes a thicker fabric than actual knitting does( I think) Plus you'd have to use a crochet hook comparable to the size knitting needle used in the knitting pattern, and play around with some different wieghts of yarns to get a fabric with the right drape to it.

I am currently fooling around making some slippers using the Tunisian knit stitch, some Red Heart Soft and a size G afghan hook. They are going to make thick comphy slippers but before I try a garment out of that stitch I plan to do two things, 1. use a larger size afghan hook because it's taking me FOREVER with the small one and 2. use a sport weight yarn or thinner to get a better draping fabric.

The Knit stitch in tunisian tends to curl, alot! But that's great if you want to make a rolled bottom edge or cuff. I think there are ways to combat that problem as well. I'd recomend swatching until you get really good at that stitch because you have to do it just right or you'll end up doing what I did,frogging umpteen million times on a simple pair of slippers that I could crochet in my sleep using any other stitch lol.

If you want a practice project Here's what I'm doing with the slippers

Measure the length of your foot( add an inch to that measurement.) Then measure width from ankle to ankle by putting the tape measure at one ankle going under your foot and up to the other ankle.

Chain a length slightly longer(1/2 inch) than the ankle measurement, work in the tunisian knit stitch until it's as long as the length measurement. With wrong sides facing fold in half length wise, and stitch up the heel, fasten off. Turn right side out and join the yarn in the middle of the top side work in the tunisian stitch around the back of the heel and around to the other side about half way, continue until cuff is as long as you want it( it will naturally roll down). Fasten off leaving a sewing length. Turn wrong side out and sew the front of the cuff and the length of the top part of the slipper together. turn right side out and repeat for the second slipper. I'd recommend using an H or an I afghan hook for this project and a worsted weight yarn will work up som thick warm slippers.

Guest SamplerLady

Crochet on the double is a form of tunisian crochet. The double ended hook allows you to have a double thick fabric with that is reversible. If you use one color on one end and another color on the other, you'll basically get a two sided fabric that are dominately two different colors on each side. :))

Guest SamplerLady

Chain, sc, dc, trc, working rows, how to count. Second class inc, dec, working in the round and reading patterns how to count. Third class fancier stitches: V stitch, fpdc, bpdc, shells, etc., how to count. I would say that counting stitches is the biggest problem for crocheters. Eventually, with practice, tension and eveness works themselves out. But counting...... None of us can do it correctly and consistenly! :))

Archived