Baby Blanket Too Big?

Most of the baby afghans I made were 36" squares. I like to use 6" squares, so my rectangle ones are 6 sq. X 7 sq. (8 sq.) 36" X 42" (48"). I entered a contest once that said baby afghans had to be no smaller than 34" and no larger than 47".

Ellie 13

I think a bigger baby blanket is better because the baby isn't going to stay that size forever! They grow and it's nice to have it as they grow into toddler size. I think bigger blankets are better.

I think that the parents may have been trying to make sure you knew your gift was appreciated, and that they will use it later on.

Maybe they didn't realise they could use it in the pram or car and were thinking that it was for the bed/cot? Perhaps they have a bassinet and it's too big for that :).....

I don't know about in the US but here in Australia I was told a number of times by well meaning midwives - "no blankets with holes large enough to snag fingers", "swaddle but don't leave blankets on the baby that aren't tucked in" and even "don't use homemade blankets because they aren't safe" :think (Apparently if you leave you baby unattended near open fire - who would do this anyway???). It was enough to freak me out :eek about whether the blankie I made her was okay..... I worked out after a while that she loves the holes (she can grab the blanket herself), likes to be snug and warm and hates to be swaddled :lol!!

Maybe the parents are overwhelmed and still finding their way with the baby and they have received swaddle/receiving blankets that are smaller which they are using now because they want to get the most out of those and then when bub's older they'll use your bigger blanket.

What I'm getting at is I don't think they were being rude at all, I think the comment was a way of telling you that just because they aren't using your gift straight away doesn't mean that it isn't appreciated or that they don't like it :yes.

Thank you Miranda and everyone for your comments! I think you all are probably right and the parents didn't mean anything negative by the "too big" note. Sometimes I just think too much about things - a little self-doubt perhaps. I think I'll keep making some for strollers in the smaller sizes and some in the larger sizes for cuddling, etc.

Archived