Changing hook size?

Guest calliope1779

Question

Guest calliope1779

Hi all, I certainly hope somebody can answer this for me.

I'm working on an afghan using a pattern, and the pattern calls for a change in hook size depending on the stitch i am doing. The difference in sizes is only .25mm, but it is making an unpleasant difference!

An example: I have to do a section of popcorn stitches with the larger hook. Then I do a couple rows of slip stitches and sc with the smaller hook. Because the stitches themselves are smaller, and the hook is smaller, the row sort of "shrinks" and pulls the top of my popcorn section in too tight. Now the edges of my afghan are uneven. :bang I think if I used the same size hook on the whole thing, this problem wouldn't be nearly as evident.

Does anyone know why a pattern would call for a different hook size for smaller stitches? I'm baffled. Thanks for your opinions. :ty

3 answers to this question

I would do a row without changing the hook and see how you like it. If you like it better and it doesnt change the pattern then go for it. I have made many many afgans and never heard of changing the hook. But there is a first time for everything:ha :ha Let us know how you make out.

Kelly V

Archived