Tawashi Yarn

My order for tawashi yarn just came in today!!! YAY!!! Eight skeins of luv, just waiting to be crocheted. I know what everyone is getting for Christmas...do you?

The yarn I ordered was "The Yarn" brand and I like the colors, especially the variegated pink one. I wasn't sure about it when I ordered, because I thought it would be to neon looking. Turns out, it is medium and light pink and a peachy tone that isn't way orangey. I LOVE it!

Leaette: You don't have to use special yarn, most people just use acrylic for its scrubby-ness, but others prefer cotton because it absorbs water. The tawashi yarn is just really cool because it has silver ions in it to make it antibacterial. As long as you rinse it well after use, it won't go funky on you like the sponge sitting on the back of your sink. Also, the makers of the yarn claim that you don't even have to use soap with it...me, personally, I prefer bubbles in my dishwater!

Momcrochets: Thanks! I just noticed that the Peaches n Cream cotton has a similar color, but it isn't quite as vibrant and pretty. It has less pink and the orange is a little different, also it has a lot more white than the one I purchased. It would give someone an idea of it though if they were thinking of purchasing it

The yarn is pretty much only immediately available in Japan from what I understand. I found some on etsy, but if you search for hamanaka (the manufacturer of one of the brands of yarn) on ebay, there are some results. I think on ebay it is the craft crochet yarn, but the listing will give you the information as to whether it is antibacterial or not. Good luck!

The yarn contains ionized silver, which is an antibacterial agent. Crocs, the shoe company actually has one type of shoe made with the same thing. As far as having proof of tests done on it, all I can do is look to the bloggers who have posted tawashi info and their satisfaction with the antibacterial yarns. Unfortunately, I do not read Japanese and other than a few lines of translation on the labels, that is what is printed on them.

Archived