Serphina shawl help

sciutoa

Question

I spent more time frogging this shawl this weekend than actually crocheting! (At least I was happlily lisitening to audio books too). I've searched this forum for help and advice and figured out a few things. But I"m still having problems with the shell increases when you begin the sequence of 4 rows. I'm getting a new shell every 4 rows at the beginning and end of each row but only on one side of the middle point. Urgh! I noticed goldi316 offered a corrected, everything written out pattern in March. I emailed her but haven't heard back. Does anyone have a copy they could email me? I've bought enough yarn to make 3-4 of these shawls as Christmas gifts. Those of you who have finished this inspired me. It's so beautiful! But I need help. Thank you!

6 answers to this question

I don't have her updated pattern but I am working on the seraphina right now. The way I remember to increase is to make sure that right before the point, I dc in the ch space and right after the point, I dc in the ch space. (also cd in the ch space right after the 1st v stitch and right before the last v-stitch, but you seem to not need help with that part). Hope this helps!

Thanks, but, yes, I've already reviewed the 2 threadd mentioned above. I also seem to be getting the dc in the ch space increases in. Problems arise with the sequence that builds into the shell. Can someone try describing that in words? The part that seems to build from dc-ch1-dc to the complete shell after 4 rows. Thanks for the assist!

Well if you are getting the sequence right on the ends and on one side of the point, then it sounds like you have the basic idea right, but for some reason in that one area you are having trouble. From memory (I don't have the shawl with me), once you get 6 dc in the previous row, you then need to have 3 dc, then the beginning v-stitch that starts the new shell sequence, then 3 dc. You need to have an increase dc here, and depending on where you are on the shawl it would either be in the beginning or end of this sequence. Subsequent rows build on that middle v-stitch to finally form the shell. If you try again and still end up with the wrong pattern, before you frog it-analyze where you went wrong, count all the dc's. When I first started it I went wrong a few times and it was only after I carefully reviewed the previous rows that I figured out where I went wrong. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice! I'll go home and give that a go. I will admit, when I keep realizing I've gone wrong AGAIN and have to rip it out AGAIN, I haven't been analyzing where I've gone wrong by looking at what happened closely. I CAN do this. I WILL do this. Appreciate the help.

Archived