Question about border on afghan

I am putting a single crochet (4 rows) around a baby blanket. The blanket is a single crochetstitch, chain, skip a chain and single crochet into the next stitch. The next row is the same only I am working my single crochet stitch into the chain space below. I'm just kind of repeating the lst row so that the single stitch staggers with each row.

I can "see" the stitch I go into at the top and bottom of the blanket, but I am having a hard time telling which is the correct stitch on the sides. I guess it is because I am doing a single stitch into the edge of a row.

Is there a website or does someone know how I can see what is the correct stitch that I will be doing a single stitch into? I think the corners have a single crochet stitch 3 times.

This is my FIRST time stitching on the sides!!! And I would like HELP!

Thanks.

Peggy Pennie

The stitch pattern you're describing is sometimes called the woven stitch.

I've not seen a website, but for sc make a stich into the side of each row. Make sure you are consistent in how you place the stitches; it's hard to describe exactly how to place them. Carefully stretch the edge and you should be able to see 'holes' where you can place your stitches. Every other row the spot will be more obvious; in the less obvious rows you will be putting the hook into a thicker area of the stitch. I think it just takes a little practice.

Hint: if you are making a border in a contrasting color, make a row around in the same color as the body of the blanket first, then make the next contrast color into that row. The reason is, when you work into the side of the piece, the stitches are a little less consistent-looking, which looks worse when done in a different color. If you do the contrast color as the second round, you are working into the top of all the stiches and it will look much better.

Another hint: in the corner, you are right there should be 3 stitches, but it the corner will look much better if you do a sc, chain, sc. The chain helps the corner make a crisp turn. Make the subsequent corners the same way, into the chain space.

Thank you soooo much for your help.

What would you do.....the blanket is 2 rows pink and 2 rows of white. The first 2 rows are pink and the last 2 rows are pink. I was going to use white solid for the border.

Would you suggest using pink since that is my first and last color - for the first row of single crochet that I will be doing all around and then complete the next 3 or 4 in white.

I appreciate your help.

Peggy Pennie

Archived