flannel fabric and crochet

I was just wondering if anyone has ever sewn flannel fabric onto a crochet afghan? if so can you give me pointers, i made may grandson an afghan and i just think it would be so cozy to put flannel fabric on the other side. i was thinking of sewing around the edging and then use yarn to tie like a quilt. what do you thing? thanks

Well, if you are going to do it, be sure to shrink the flannel first as it shrinks a lot. And, know that the flannel only comes 44 inches wide and if your afghan is wider than that, it won't work in one piece. You might use fleece which comes in 54 inches wide. I don't know how this would look since you wouldn't be tieing down all of the crochet to the back so it would lay flat. If you wash your crocheted afghan in fabric sofener, it will be soft and cuddly for him just as it is. :hook

I was just wondering if anyone has ever sewn flannel fabric onto a crochet afghan? if so can you give me pointers, i made may grandson an afghan and i just think it would be so cozy to put flannel fabric on the other side. i was thinking of sewing around the edging and then use yarn to tie like a quilt. what do you thing? thanks

I have done it exactly like that. Sewed the edges and tied it like a quilt. WASH FLANNEL FIRST!

My afghan was kind of big so there was a seam in the flannel but it came out beautifully. Sorry I don't have a pic. I made it years ago for my niece.

Good luck with your afghan!:hug

Sheryl

I've done this too. Where the seam was in sewing the flannel together to make it wide enough, instead of making it a 'raw' seam, I folded it over onto itself before sewing it on the machine to give it a finished edge so there wouldn't be any strings after it was washed a few times. Then I blanket stitched it to the afghan edges and then tied it every three inches over the entire afghan. It turned out very nice.

Remember to shrink the flannel first before cutting it to size and attaching it.

I was wondering the same thing.

You know I love granny squares, but not all the holes it leaves.

the flannle would make it more cozy. thanks for the ideas.

Archived