Help with Hat sizing

I made an ear flap hat for my great nephew who is 8. The hat turned out great but it is WAY too big for him. It fits an adult well. I love this pattern I have so I need help trying to figure out how to adjust it for an 8 year old. Is there a rule of thumb formula or is it just as simple as I have a hat that fits so I use that as a guide? How do you know where to start the ear flaps? is that a guess as well? Thanks guys - just nedd a little brain processing help!:hug

The "standard" head sizes can be found here: http://www.yarnstandards.com/headsize.html This is a good starting place. Also, when I've done earflaps, generally I just center them on each side. so, usually, you could wear my earflap hats forwards or backward and the earflaps are still positioned correctly. Of course, I don't make tiny earflaps.

The "standard" head sizes can be found here: http://www.yarnstandards.com/headsize.html This is a good starting place. Also, when I've done earflaps, generally I just center them on each side. so, usually, you could wear my earflap hats forwards or backward and the earflaps are still positioned correctly. Of course, I don't make tiny earflaps.

I know to center them on the sides it is how long should the hat be before you start the flaps ie: top of the ear, a couple of rows down on the ear or what - does that make sense?? Thanks fir the link on the head sizes that is an amazing help!!!

Hats can be so confusing What I do is to try it on myself if it fits me then it's good for an adult if it's way too small then a child could wear it. To make it bigger add an increase row & take one away to make it smaller.There are some basic sizing charts around they're a little confusing to me though because they really don't explain the length to make them to cover the ears :think I do the same with ear flaps I just center them on the sides & it really doesn't matter how long they are.

Archived