Help with belt-making please

PuppyMom

Question

I have been crocheting for over 40 years, always using published patterns (oh, that big bugaboo, GAUGE :eek), but now I'd like to make (design) a belt (crocheting either width or lengthwise) using 2 D-rings as the closing mechanism. How do I either chain-onto (working widthwise) or complete my rows (working lengthwise) onto the first D-ring? I can probably sew the second ring an inch or two into the belt, or double them up using the methods described above. This would seem to be a no-brainer, but I just can't seem to get it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2 answers to this question

I have been crocheting for over 40 years, always using published patterns (oh, that big bugaboo, GAUGE :eek), but now I'd like to make (design) a belt (crocheting either width or lengthwise) using 2 D-rings as the closing mechanism. How do I either chain-onto (working widthwise) or complete my rows (working lengthwise) onto the first D-ring? I can probably sew the second ring an inch or two into the belt, or double them up using the methods described above. This would seem to be a no-brainer, but I just can't seem to get it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would think that you could just treat the D ring the same way you would treat the starting ring (chains joined with sl st, or initial chain or magic adjustable ring) for a piece the started in the round...

Have slipknotted working loop on your hook, holding the yarn behing the D-ring, insert hook into the d-ring, pull up a loop through it and work a sc over the D-ring - work over the edge of the D-ring to create width of belt, turn and continue your pattern...

Doing it lengthways would be a bit trickier, but you could do it in the same method I've seen used for doing a ribbing on a hat - where you basically work the ribbing at 90 degrees to the hat round.. for that, I would:

Using the same technique as above - slip stitch or sc your yarn to the D-ring, then just chain out from there , or, if your first row will be a plain stitch, work a chainless foundation row of that stitch to the length desired... chain your turning chain, turn and work back to the ring and work a sc into the ring as part of your turning chain (or something like that) - basically, just work onto the ring whenever you come back to it to incorporate it into your work... (disclaimer: this is me thinking on the fly, half-remembering a pattern that accomplished a similar thing - I do not know if it will work at all :D...disclaimer#2 I have never crocheted into a Dring before - but I have crocheted over a hair elastic...)

Good luck!

Cheers,