Flower christmas decoration

RosiePosie

I got some advice from some lovely Crochetville people and thought I'd give something back somehow, and this is what I came up with!

I came across a light blue felt flower with felt leaves that someone was sewing on Etsy. They looked pretty easy but very cute and I thought I'd try to replicate the look in crochet. Hence these improvised flowers were born! They're going on my tree amid some other knitted and crocheted decorations this Christmas.

I'm British so the instructions may not make sense to people in the US but as I understand it, you can just sub in 'sc' where I've put 'dc'. I hope that's right! I'm a knitter as well so my pattern language might be a bit of a hybrid between knitting and crochet. You can use the pictures below as a reference if it's terrible! I've only tested the pattern once with the second (gold) flower so please let me know if there are any mistakes!

You'll need:

- any yarn (two colours) and appropriate hook. I used grey DK for the flower and dark green DK for the leaves and a 5mm hook.

- a button (alternatively you can crochet a bobble for the middle out of another colour yarn, like the gold flower)

Pattern:

Flower

Ch 20. Turn.

2dc in each ch to end. Turn.

Dc once, 2dc in second dc. Repeat to end. Continue dc's around the edge to make the corner curved rather than square. Turn.

Dc twice, 2dc in third dc. Repeat to about 15 sts from end. Sc and break yarn.

Coil the strip around itself with the thinnest part (the last 15 sts) in the middle. Using end of yarn, fix in place and sew button into the middle.

Leaves (Make two)

Ch4. Turn.

Dc to last ch, 2dc in last ch. Turn. Repeat until leaf is 8 sts across.

Dc across. Turn.

Dc 2 together, dc to end. Repeat until 5 dc's remain.

Dc 2 together, dc once, dc 2 together. Turn.

Dc 2 together, dc, turn.

Dc 2 together, break yarn, pull tight and sew end of leaf into a point.

With the ends of the leaves attach them to each other and the underside of the flowers.

Photos

Grey flower

Gold flower

I hope that worked! Let me know if anyone has any problems :)

Rosie xx

ETA: the leaves in the picture have curled up a lot so they don't exactly show the shape, they're bigger and pointier than they look!

Archived