prayer cloths and hats for troops

crochet.sandie

I have been asked to help gather prayer cloths and hats for a shipment to a unit in Iraq for Christmas. They will have to be put together the week of Thanksgiving and I will be out of town the week before that, so this is short notice - deadline Nov. 14. I didn't think of posting here until today. The cloths are small enough to be placed in a pocket to carry so they don't take long to make.

Details are in the left column at my blog, Crafty Corral.

http://craftycorral.blogspot.com/

Briefly, the prayer cloths must be 100% wool or cotton - NO acrylic, for the safety of the troops as acrylic melts.

Colors: dark brown, dark green, or tan (solid color, no variegated, one color per hat)

Use either my crochet filet cross or puff stitch cross pattern or a similar pattern in knit. I use an H hook. My puff stitch comes out to be about 3 1/2" x 4" and the filet about 4 1/2" high.

Hats must be 22 to 24" around, and 8 - 10" high. Same colors, 100% WOOL ONLY for hats.

If you can help, that would be wonderful. E-mail me at crochet.sandie AT gmail DOT com for my address.

This is a one time deal so far as I am aware. The coordinator has asked that we try to get 200 of each but I don't think there are exactly that number so if we fall a few short it will be okay. I know it will be tough to get that many in such a short span of time, but what will be will be. :-)

Thanks for considering using your time for this effort. I know this is a busy time for everyone.

Sandie

Sandie, I was searching around on the web and found this prayer cloth pattern. It's a free pattern. You use cotton doily thread and was wondering if this would work or do you prefer your patterns you have listed?? I'm a doily crocheter too and love working with thread, that's why I'm asking. But wonder if you could find darker colors.....Just asking. Thanks.

http://inspiredcrochetdesign.blogspot.com/2007/11/free-pattern-prayer-cloth-filet.html

Sandie, I was searching around on the web and found this prayer cloth pattern. It's a free pattern. You use cotton doily thread and was wondering if this would work or do you prefer your patterns you have listed?? I'm a doily crocheter too and love working with thread, that's why I'm asking. But wonder if you could find darker colors.....Just asking. Thanks.

http://inspiredcrochetdesign.blogspot.com/2007/11/free-pattern-prayer-cloth-filet.html

I have seen this pattern and it is just beautiful, but my thought was that it is a bit "fancy" for troops. I thought something plain would please the majority. I am told even the women like to have the same things as the men because they already stand out and don't want to stand out any more than they already do.

However, as a prayer cloth for those in hospitals and nursing homes and other places, I think it would be great. I really love it. (For sick persons I would not use wool for the allergy problem. Their resistance is lower.)

Thanks for asking.

Sandie

Archived