Need help teaching my niece

I'm trying to teach my niece to crochet. She is 7 and can make a chain a mile long. She wants to "go back" as she puts it so she can make a blanket. I have spent hours showing her how to hold the hook and what to do but she insists she does not get it and gets frustrated. I truly do not remember what my grandmothers did to teach me at her age. I do remember granny squares were the first thing I made.

Does anyone have any tips for teaching young ones to crochet or are there books and other resources I can get to help us??:sweat

I would actually do the first couple rows for her to get her to a point where you have clear stitches. Then teach her the sc from there. You know what a pain that foundation row can be even after a long time of doing this. Maybe if she can get the hang of the sc from there she won't be so frustrated. There'll be time on another project to start from the chain row once she's more comfortable with the hook.:)

Hope that helps!

:hookColleen

I've recently seen some things done in only the chain stitch. If she just can't get the sc after you do the foundation row, then maybe she could just stick to the chain stitch. Back and forth.

There was a post not too long ago that had links to pictures of things made with chain stitch. I've never tried it, but some of the things made looked pretty neat. It almost looks like knit.

When I first learned, I started with a granny square. No crocheting into a foundation chain - only dc and ch. I made it into a huge square blanket.

Maybe she'd like something like that.

This was one of my earlier projects also.

I would try putting your hand around hers to help her with the motion of making the actual stitches. She's probably grasping the concept but just can't quite get her hand to do what she wants it to do! I found that holding the hands of little kids and helping them make the correct motions helps to get them get used to the motion and figure out what they need to do with their hands to make the stitch. I hope that will help!

Archived