Scarves, Hats, Squares, Blankets for Foster Care Kids

Vickietoria

Hi! I've been working with a lady with DHR in my community, giving her blankets for the kids as they come into the foster care system. The blankets are a comfort for the kiddos when they've just been taken from their families, due to whatever was going on there.

Right now, in our community, there are about 95 kids in the system. What I would love to do, is have a hat and scarf for each of them. This is in addition to any new kids who might come, to have a blanket for them.

This is a huge goal for me! So far, I have about 20 fleece scarves, and a couple hats here and there. The fleece scarves are very easy; they're cut from fleece about 5" wide, and about 4-5" long, mostly from scraps from making blankets. I haven't put fringe on them, but probably won't. They are so easy and cheap to make, but any scarf made from any pattern would work just wonderfully! :)

Hats should fit kids from baby (they don't really get many newborns, so think 6 months and up) to teenagers. In the next couple days she's going to e-mail me the ages and genders of the kids, so that I'll have a better idea how many of each size to make up. However, scarves are pretty one size fits all kind of item. :)

I'm still working on blankets too, so if anyone wants to make up a solid colored granny square (any pattern, acrylic yarn like Red Heart) 12" that would be great to help with making blankets. I also make a lot of fleece blankets with crochet edging for the kids. If you sew, you could get some flannel and do a seam around each edge to make a great lightweight blanket for kids too. Anything handmade is much appreciated for these kids!

You can check out my signature, and see my blog to see some of the easy patterns that I've written or used for these items, with pictures. In my signature too is a link to the yahoo group where we chat about these things, and a lot more! It's fun! We're still a small group, but we love what we do. We're talking about having a contest, and I'd love to have you join us for that!

Thanks so much for reading, and just considering helping us out for Christmas.

Hugs,

Victoria:manyheart

Archived