another steeringwheel cover

embee

Needless to say I hadn't quite enough brown yarn but I really do like the bright color insert and "stitching". Now I'm working on one for the "new" car.

http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~mbbweb/longhair/GeoStWhlCvrC.jpg

I'm sure it will help with the "parked car => burned hands" problem I've had all summer. ;)

Yes, I made the pattern up. I figured elastic wouldn't last long in a hot sunny NC summer car, so I would have to use something else. I also tried measuring the circumference of the wheel, and that was tricky at best as the darn tape measure kept sliding off the wheel. This thing *had* to be very snug!

This is 4 ply knitting worsted - not wool - and a G hook

I started with ch16.

sc in 2nd, 3rd,and 4th ch

hdc in 5th, 6th, and 7th ch

dc in 8th, 9th, and 10 ch

hdc in 11th, 12th, and 13th ch

sc in 14th, 15th, and 16th ch

ch1, turn, repeat

And kept on going until I ran out of brown yarn and then I used that multicolored thing which was a leftover from something years ago... maybe "bikini" color from Red Heart? Kinda looks like that.

Every now and then I'd try it on the wheel, pulling it really tight. And when it was long enough I sewed the beginning and ending together, made a forever long "fingerweave" string, and threaded that through to tie everything down.

Not sure I'm going to like it, although it sure does cut the burning heat. The wheel feels very different, and I'm nervous that it will slip - that's probably my imagination. ;) I'll give it a week to see if I get used to it!

Archived