Beth's starghan

gavinsmom

Question

I'm trying to do Beth's starghan with the alternate center that someone posted ... but i only have 3 points ... not 5 ?? :( can someone help me figure out what im doing wrong??

One thought I have ... am I supposed to be working in the spaces like u do with a grany square or am I supposed to actually be working in the stiches ... cause i was working in the spaces:think

8 answers to this question

Okay well I figured out what i was doing wrong in the center ... now im on row 3 and it doesnt look like a star?? it has five point's tho

You work in the stiches and make your points in the spaces, so you should have 5 spaces. It's just like working a ripple with just 5 points.

Let me see: Ch 4, work 9 dc in 4th ch from hook, join with sl st to top of ch-3

Next round: Ch 3, in same sp as joining work 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, *skip next dc, work 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in next dc, rep from * 3 more times, join with a sl st in top of beg ch-3.

You should have 5 ch-2 points, work the rest of afghan as in Beth's Little star, beginning with round 3.

:frog

thats what im doing ..... i finally figured it out ..... i just feel like it looks boxy ... the other thing is where it says skip 2 dc i dont have 2 dc's to skip so ive only been skipping one ... did i mess it up real bad?

Yes, you aren't doing it right, let me see if I can explain it.

On row 4 you'll need to sl st into the next dc and ch 3, dc in the next dc then in the next ch-2 lp you'll make 3 dc, ch 2 and 3 dc, dc in the next 2 dc, skip 2 dc, dc in the next 2 dc then in the next ch-2 loop you will make 3 dc, ch 2 and 3 dc. You'll repeat this around.

You're working in each dc, and ch-2 loop in this afghan with the exception of the 2 skipped dc at the bottom of each side, that's what makes it start looking like a star.

:frog

Okay I'm on row 12 and I'm only skipping one space and its working ... its flatting out too ... it kept bunching when i started but now its working out pretty well ... I dunno why I only had one space to skip .... this was my only thought:

in the chain 2 space u shell right? or do u shell in the first chain and then dc in the second chain?

If it's working for you then something is doing right.

Yes, you shell in the ch-2 space.

Just a thought, are you skipping the dc just after the ch-2 space? That could account for you having to only skip 1 dc. Sometimes that happens because the shell covers up the dc and you don't think to dc into it.

hmmm .... maybe thats what I did :) woops ... oh well ... its looking really good .... I'm on row 16 and I am going to do 12 more rows ... I hope to have it finished with in the next couple of days ..... I showed my sister in law (the one I'm making it for) and she loves it

Chatty, I had to be really careful about skipping that double crochet after the shell too. I know I missed it a couple of times, but when I discovered I did not have 2 to skip I had to rip out back to the shell. I know I've done it!

BTW, I love your new center. I keep referring people back to your posting!

Jessie :turtle:hook

Archived