Any tips on "using the yarn double"?

MidnightandOreo

Question

5 answers to this question

If I only need one skein, I just wind half of it up into a ball, cut it, then wind the other half. (Usually I just guess, especially if I can manage to find the other end of the yarn to wind both balls until they look the same, or sometimes I'll break out the postage scale if I'm feeling obsessive :loco ) I just did a throw rug where I had to do that with a bunch of colors, and was I ever wishing for a ball winder by the time I finished! :))

Edited to add a link in case you've never done a center pull ball before: How to make a pull skein

I fish around the middle of the skein until I find that "soggy" spot described on another center-pull finding post, then yank that out, and use yarn from inside and out. Sometimes it brings a bit extra with it, but usually not more than a rows worth of yarn, so i use it quickly and I don't end up with tangled mess.

get some gallon size ziploc bags, cut off a little at a bottom corner, pull your working yarn through the hole, dump in your skein and zip it up. this will keep the tangles away :yes

especially if you are using from 2 different skeins. this will keep them seperate and they won't wind around each other :rock

and i'm with natalie... feel for the squish and pull :eek

Archived