Knit to Crochet

It can be done to come up with a similiar product. There's a book called "From Knitting to Crochet" and in it it has knitting stitches and then the approximate stitches in crochet.

It will take some planning and creativity to come up with something similiar, but it can be done. Look at the picture of the project first, and then see if there is something similiar in crochet. You will need to be creative and basically form your own pattern as you go, but with some luck and patience, you should be happy with what you come up with.

That book is probably available at your library. Check out that first.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

:manyheart

I have not seen that book, but the website tips will only give you a piece of crocheted fabric the same size as the knitted fabric.

The stitches will not look remotely the same, nor will the fabric drape. 6 rows of stockinette do not look like a row of treble crochet stitches for example.

I'm sure you liked the knitted pattern for the look of the stitches, but this won't get you there, alas.

That's the ticket!

A lot of times I will save a pattern because I like the stitch, not because of the thing made from it. Example, I 'stole' a part of a cable-y pattern from an afghan and incorporated it into a sweater I made last winter. Maybe you can find something on CPC with a similar stitch as the knit bag and find a similar purse pattern and put the two together!

If there's a link to the purse pic maybe we can help you find a similar crochet stitch...

Ok, the shape is simple: 2 rectangles 11 inches long and 10 inches wide (per the gauge 18 st = 4 inches, and you are casting on 45, so 45 divided by 18 is 2.5, times 4 is 10)

Of course, you can make it any size you want, as long as it was a little longer than wide.

For the handle, the patter has you cast on 5 and knit round and round on 5 stitches until you have 48". You could ch 6, sc in second chain and next 4 chains, join, then keep going in a spiral until you have 48", finish off leaving a long end to sew the ends together after you've woven it through the purse top.

That was the easy part. Let me fiddle with some yarn and look around at some patterns. I'm thinking maybe alternating front loop/back loop sc for the sides, and maybe a hdc cluster, ch-1 for the body or something like that. The body looks kind of holey, were you going for that look or something more solid?

Here is a stitch pattern that looks sort of similar, it has a similar crossed look as the knit stitches. I don't have a link to show you, this is just from me playing with some yarn. I'm calling it a hdc cluster, technically I've thrown in an extra yo for that definition but I like the texture :)

For the bottom few rows, and the first few stitches at the beginning and end of the pattern stitch rows, do hdc.

For the pattern stitch for the 'body':

---yo, insert hook into next st, pull through, yo, insert hook into next st, yo, pull through, yo, pull through all 5 loops on hook - hdc cluster made.

---Now here's the slightly tricky part: for the rest of the pattern stitches across the row, the last stitch of your last cluster is also the same as the first stitch of the next cluster.

---If the clusters didn't share a stitch, it would be a hdc decrease and you'd soon end up with no stitches :eek It also makes the 'crossed' look.

---So the next and subsequent clusters in ther row are made by:

---yo, insert hook in same st as last stitch of previous cluster, yo, pull through, yo, pull through all 5 loops on hook .

Repeat this pattern row until you are the same distance away from the top as the distance covered by the number of plain hdc rows you did at the bottom (or hey, whatever you want, but I'm just following the knit pattern) :hook.

Finish off. Make another piece just like it, and leave a long tail so you can sew the 2 pieces together.

Make the handle as I mentioned in the other post, and finish as the knit pattern says.

This pattern does leave holes, but is a little less open than the knit version. I would make the handle with a smaller hook than the purse, to make sure you can weave it through the holes.

There are infinite stitch possibilities, but I just thought this stitch looked sturdy, and sort of similar to the knit version.

If you like the cross-stitch look, but not my version (that's OK!!), go to CPC, and do a search for 'cross' or 'x-stitch', there are bunch of different variations that might appeal to you. Just remember you will need some holeyness for the handle.

Have fun!

Archived