Starting a charity?

I moved to a small town in tx from a big So. Cal city a year ago. Where you could find any charity. now I've run into a problem.....no charity groups here at all, not for many miles.

Should I start one or just donate stuff myself? I would love to bring other crocheters together for a cause. Well, I would love to meet other crocheters here to gab with :blush

I know we have a womens crisis center that my Mom's Club has donated baby items to and I know we have a homeless center in the next town too.

Is it hard to start one? Where do I start? I only have 3 yrs experience under my belt on crocheting, does that hurt my chances of starting one? What are the benefits of starting one?

I know some people here but no one crochets or knits. I was thinking of calling our local Joann's to see if they know anything about hidden charity groups that I couldn't find via internet.

:think any advise?

You have some excellent ideas already, and here are some off the top of my head:

If you are involved in a church, ask around if there's an existing group, or suggest starting one yourself.

Call the local Red Cross and ask what groups they work with.

If there is a local library in your town, find out if you can sign out the meeting room, post some signs about starting a group in the library, at the grocery store, etc.

Is there a local community college? The same stuff for above would work here, too, as far as posting signs.

Depending on what you want to do, national organizations like Project Linus might be able to help you (check out the websites for groups you are interested in. They usually have chapter information pages or how to start/find one in your area.).

Good luck!! And thanks for wanting to start a charity that uses your skills and helps people. Patty

Your local Pennysaver or newspaper may let you put in free or low cost ads asking for others who may wish to work with you crocheting for charity.

Check with your nearest hospital and see if they are in need. Also nursing homes and retirement apartment buildings where many are on very small budgets.

I would definately start a group if there isn't any in your area.

Check out the churches. There may be one at a group that is already established. Or start a group at your church.

The benefits to a group are great. I belong to a group from my church and we meet every Friday morning at the Parish center. I am the youngest in the group, but it doesn't matter. I have learned so much from these women, from stitching questions to who to call when your furnace/dishwasher/air conditioner, etc. breaks down.

I really enjoy this time for myself. I'm a busy mom of two teens, work part time, and do most of the household things. So these two hours are mine.

We work on any project we like and then when we get enough things, we donate it to a local organization. It feels good to make things for others in need.

If you want to help out hospitals, check out my siggy for Carewear. They have hospitals listed by state. There may be one local for you to donate to. Also, if you sign up, there is a quarterly newsletter mailed to members that is very good.

One last thing. When starting a group, have a definate day of the week and time. This way, the members will try to put that time aside for the group. You could meet weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. Whatever works out well for the members.

Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Don't forget to advertise on Craig's list. That gets the word out to whoever is looking.

:manyheart

That is so cool I did find a hospital in my city from your listing. I was sure I wouldn't find one b/c my town isn't that big but hey, it was in there....very funny.

I didn't think of Craige's list...thank you.

Archived