Hey Spinners and Dyers!

Priszm

A co-worker has a small hobby farm with goats. So I remembered to ask her today if they are the kind of goats that need sheering. Nope, no such luck there. BUT, her neighbor has sheep that they sheer. And they throw out the wool (fleece?), they don't do anything with it! :eek So fabulously wonderful co-worker is going to see if they'll let me have it (yes, have it, as in no cost!).

But here's my problem, I don't spin. This might convince me to start. How much space would I need to spin this into yarn? I don't have a lot, my apartment is 7hundred something square feet. And I have no kitchen. I have a ki, fridge, stove, dishwasher, single sink and very very limited counter space, all on the same wall. So if this is something that's going to take up a lot of room, I was thinking of either passing on it, or maybe selling the un-spun, un-dyed stuff. Can you wonderful people please provide me with your thoughts on this? Thanks!

Oh, honey, you need no room at all! I live in 660 sq foot apt and I LOVE to spin! I spin on a drop spindle and store my fiber in plastic storage boxes and they take up very little space! The only thing about the fleece is that it will need to be washed and carded before use and drum carders are rated $$$$$ for price (I want one so badly and the one I want is $700...hmmm groceries, drum carder, groceries...I better not do this too long, the drum carder might win :grin) Sometimes people on etsy or ebay will do custom batts (flat pieces of carded wool that can be made into roving by tearing in strips or spun from the batt) or maybe a LYS has a carder you can use? Really, though, it takes very little space on a drop spindle, which is small enough to go in a drawer, under the bed, under the couch, in a cupboard, etc! I love my spindles from http://www.butterflygirldesigns.etsy.com; they rock!

You are so lucky; cant wait to see what you decide!

PS~ What kind of sheep are they, do you know?

Nope, no clue :lol But my coworker says they are all fluffy so they are sorely in need of a shave now. Like I said, I may sell some as is (un-spun/dyed) too.

Archived