Perfect Drop Spindle?

CroJulee

Hey ladies,

Ok, I saw a lady at our famers market using a drop spindle to make some yarn last week and that really got me interested. I told her so but I don't think she takes me seriously cause I'm only 20 years old. Any who, I really want to learn but don't know what type of spindle is best to start with. Any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks

Julee

P.S. And if you know of where I can get a good beginner drop spindle for a reasonable price that'd be amazing.

I got my drop spindle from a woman selling wool from her sheep at the Rennaissance Festival here in Tennessee. She was selling them for $12, I had never even heard of them before I bought it so I have no idea if that was a good price. I was just asking her questions about her spinning wheel and she told me that if I could learn the drop spindle, spinning on a wheel would be no problem. I'm 22 years old too, we should be taken seriously!

The drop spindle I'm using seems to be working for me. I'm brand new to it and have only been spinning for about a month... I'll surf the web to see if I can find a similar drop spindle and I'll get back with you.

I also found this really really helpful video on youtube teaching spinning on a drop spindle. I'm not sure if you'll be teaching yourself or not, but I am and I found this to be the most thorough in explaining things. I'm a very visual person when it comes to learning, so just reading about it wasn't enough. I'll post that link too once I find a spindle :)

Here's a basic drop spindle I found for $5!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=11714473

This one looks like a good deal too, it's $12, and it comes with 2 oz of wool roving to practice with(this one looks very similar to mine):

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9836287

Those are just two that I found... there are tons! Maybe someone with more experience can tell you which kinds they suggest. All I know is what I use. I'm pretty sure mine was handmade by the woman who sold it to me.

This is what mine looks like and it's working fine for me:

Baby813.jpg

And here are the drop spindle video tutorials I was telling you about. This is the girs youtube channel with all 3 of her drop spindle videos.

http://youtube.com/user/theartofmegan

Hope this helps!! Good Luck! :D

Thank you so much!! That was very helpful!! I think I'll go with the $5.00 one. I know of a place where I can get rovings for a decent price.

Again, thanks so much and I agree, we should be taken seriously. I would think they would think it's cool a younger generation is interested in such an old craft.

Julee

Thank you so much!! That was very helpful!! I think I'll go with the $5.00 one. I know of a place where I can get rovings for a decent price.

You may want to rethink the purchase of the $5 spindle. It says in the description:

I use this spindle for all my non-wheel spinning needs, hand spinning in a modified navajo form - it is capable of producing medium thick to the finest lace weights.

If you want to spin using the Dine' (Navajo) technique, you should get a Navajo spindle which is not a 12" spindle (see one in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTs5P8QG9I0)

The Navajo spindle is a "supported spindle" not a "drop spindle". The technique of Navajo spinning is a one-handed long draw, a method that is not that easy to do for a lot of experienced spinners.

If you haven't visited the website The Joy of Handspinning, you might want to consider it. http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/spindle-types.shtml The URL I listed shows the various spindle types.

When selecting a spindle, I find that the weight is of most importance. If you want to create thin, light weight yarns, a light spindle is best. For chunkier yarns, choose a heavier spindle.

My DH makes my spindles. They can be used as a top or bottom whorl using a half hitch to secure the leader. I found a wonderful gizmo at the hardware store that I use as a weight. It slips over the shaft and is tightened with a hex screw set in the side for when I want to make chunkier yarns.

A wonderful website for spindle spinning is http://www.ispindle.com/toc.htm

Again, thanks so much and I agree, we should be taken seriously. I would think they would think it's cool a younger generation is interested in such an old craft. Julee

Julee,

you hit the nail square on the head as far as I'm concerned. I'm nearly 50 and one of my biggest joys is teaching folks (yong and old) the wonderful world of fiber.

I take my wheel to the Farmer's Market. When anyone expresses the tiniest bit of interest, I get out the drop spindles (I sell for $10, includes the weight and fiber) and show them how to spin. I've taught male and female from 5 yo to over 80 yo. I get the same thrill each time when it 'clicks' with them.

Here are some of my husband's spindles:

spindle110107f.jpg

If you have any questions about spinning, be sure to ask!!! I may not always have the answer, or my answer may be biased to my experience only, but I can usually include URLs for other folks' opinions.

Just remember, there is no one right way to spin, regardless of what anyone says!

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/pictorials

Hi Cyndi,

Thanks so much for all the help you've given. I'm kinda lost when it comes to this and I don't exactly have any idea of what I'm looking for. I'm just kinda making a somewhat uneducated guess. I have read up on it quite a bit but I know I can't read everything I need to know in a couple of days.

Those spindles are beautiful. I wish I would have seen those before I purchased one yesterday. I actually ended up going with a different one. It ways about 1.6 ozs and looks really nice and yesterday I bought some beautiful rovings off of ebay. It only cost $3.00 with s/h so I figured it couldn't be bad to try.

That's so cool that you teach people to drop spindle. I don't know why some people are so against teaching. Oh well. I'll learn with or without help. I'm really, really, really excited. I can't wait to get my drop spindle and start learning and making my own yarn. Now I just have to find the right excuse for it for my parents who wonder "Wouldn't it just be faster to buy the yarn already made?"

Anyways, Thanks again for your help and if I have questions I'll definintly ask you.

You really know what you're talking about.

Julee

P.S. That yarn is beautiful too!! Amazing!!

The yarn was spun on my wheel.

I'm totally self-taught in all my fiber endeavors, except for tatting - I did sit with someone for that. I spin, spindle, knit, crochet, tat, weave, locker hook, twine, felt.

Just taught a 19 yo (friend of my DD) how to drop spindle over the weekend. Had her spinning in under 10 minutes using the park and draft method.

Sent her home with a spindle, some fiber, a niddy noddy and a spinning book.

A wonderful basic spindling video on utube:

Now I just have to find the right excuse for it for my parents who wonder "Wouldn't it just be faster to buy the yarn already made?"

It's also faster to go to a fast food place to eat, but it isn't better for you.

Spinning feeds the soul and your creativity.

(I just made that up, but feel free to use it on your parents!!) :D

I love that!! I'm so gonna have to tell them that. Thanks!!

Thanks for the link to the youtube video on spinning. I don't know when I can watch it because our internet service is really slllooowwww but I will the first chance I get.

It's amazing how you taught your self to do all that. I'm really not self taught in anything, well, not yet.

Just out of curiousity, is a niddy noddy absolutely necessary, or is it just something nice to have if you spin? I've seen so many of them and it really got me wondering.

Well, time to get heading. I have some stuff to finish for the farmers market tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Julee

It's also faster to go to a fast food place to eat, but it isn't better for you.

Spinning feeds the soul and your creativity.

(I just made that up, but feel free to use it on your parents!!) :D

You need something to wind your yarn from your bobbin into a skein.

A niddy-noddy is traditional, but you can use your hand and elbow (like rolling up an electrical cord) instead.

Be sure to tie your skein in at least 4 places (sometimes more, i normally tie in 6 places) so the yarn doesn't get tangled.

I'm all about spinning as inexpensive as I can get. It takes more time sometimes, but I have time, I don't always have cash

I got something at an antique shop today that I think may be a bobbin for a spinning wheel (maybe, I'm not really sure). Probably not, but even if it isn't, I already know what I'll use it for (I think). Here's a picture of it:

antiquespool.jpg

I'll have to invest in a niddy noddy sometime in the future. I have to admit, they look pretty cool.

Well, I better get going. I'm pretty worn out right now. Got about 1.5 hours of sleep then got up at 6 am and didn't get home until 4 pm. LONNNNGG day. But I had fun though. The markets always fun.

Julee

Yes, it is a bobbin, but not for a spinning wheel.

You can use it the same way you would use a nostepinne and make center pull balls

Ok, so I was close. Sweet. I was planning on using it as a nostepinne. I can't afford a yarn winder right now, and that was only $1.50 so I had to grab it and see how I could use it. I'll probably try it out later today. I have alot of yarn that needs to be wound up.

Thanks

Julee

• 2 weeks later...

If your computer gives you a hard time to watch the youtube video's then I suggest going to http://www.hyenacart.com/tinyladycooperative and contacting Lea of Woobies Wool. You can read more about her kits that she sells here, though if you e-mail her she will sell you just the DVD. When she says it's better than most youtube video's it is lol, but yes definately still quite informal. It taught me though :), and I'm not an easy student LOL! She also sells good beginer spindles and I'm sure would be more than happy to just sell you the dvd, or the dvd and a spindle or however you want. She's fantastic :).

If you have any other questions feel free :).

Archived