CHINA Help?

Vickietoria

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew of a charity helping those in the earthquake in China recently? I heard that there are about 5 million homeless people there now, and about 40,000 died during the earthquake. Does anyone know of someone who is making anything for them? Thanks!

Victoria

Thanks, I'll let you know if I hear anything. I'm just sure there has to be a group out there willing to make blankets for these people. Right now, there is such a need just to get a tent up for families to be protected from the rain... If there was an organization that is sending out supplies to them, perhaps someone here on crochetville, we could get blankets out to that person to deliver. Anyone?

Thanks!

Victoria

Ok, I found this fact sheet from the red cross, and it says, basically, that unless we could donate enough items for pretty much everyone in the aflicted area, it would be cheaper and easier for us to donate money, and they red cross would purchase needed supplies from that area for the people. So, if they need blankets, they would buy the blankets from somewhere in China not affected by the earthquake, and give them to those who need the blanekts. It saves on postage, and will help the local economy. So, I think I might just donate to the red cross. :)

Victoria

https://www.redcross.org/sponsors/ways_to_help_factsheet.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure Lutheran World Relief will be sending comforters. If you check with local Lutheran churches, you might find a sewing group that assembles them. They need to be 60" by 80", washable and durable. Here are the basic instructions: http://lwr.org/parish/quilts.asp Their home page is lwr.org. You may contact them at 800-LWR-LWR-2 or lwr@lwr.org to learn of a church near you that participates. They will take donations of durable fabric, old sheets, and cash of course.

Archived