sooo excited!!!!!!!! custom hand-turned crochet hook

My dad is going to make me a one-of-a-kind custom, hand-turned wooden crochet hook! I am soooo excited. He is very talented and loves to do wood-working. His latest wood-working hobby is wood-turning, which he has been doing for several years.

His questions for me are:

1. What size? Since I primarily make afghans and tend to crochet larger than the specified gauge, I've suggested an H hook.

2. What length? Here is where I need ya'll's help! I have never actually held a wooden crochet hook in my hand. From the pictures I've seen, they appear to be longer than a traditional crochet hook. However, I don't want it to be so long that it is un-manageable. Please help!!!

More special that you realize! My dad has pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed 5 1/2 years ago and given 6-9 months at that time. We are grateful that we have had so much time with him!

I prefer my hooks to be no more than slightly over 6 inches long. Even shorter than that is great for me. I think it can depend on the size of your hands and also how you hold your hook. My hands are small and I use the knife hold.

Archived