Vintage vs. New?

Most of my hooks are Susan Bates from the late 60s-70s. I recently bought a couple of new Susan Bates steel hooks. They are much smaller than the old ones and I was not able to use them. My old ones are stamped Japan or USA, and the new ones say Mexico.

I think probably the people who really want the vintage hooks are those of us who want another hook just like the one we are used to. Or I guess some people collect them and want to fill out the collection.

Most of my hooks are Susan Bates from the late 60s-70s. I recently bought a couple of new Susan Bates steel hooks. They are much smaller than the old ones and I was not able to use them. My old ones are stamped Japan or USA, and the new ones say Mexico.

I think probably the people who really want the vintage hooks are those of us who want another hook just like the one we are used to. Or I guess some people collect them and want to fill out the collection.

hmm.

Is the hook part shaped the same way?

I'm looking at 2 size 8 SB steel hooks. the older one is stamped USA and the throat is flat, looks like the aluminum inline hooks. the new one is stamped Mexico and the throat is rounded and is thinner than the old one, and the head of the hook is about half the size of the old one. I think those are the only 2 I have the same size in both old and new.

I have an old size 5 (made in US) that is actually a small version of the aluminum inline hook.

the SB steel hooks I have that were made in Japan look about like the new made in Mexico ones, but the sizes are off: an old 6 is bigger than a new 4.

Hope that info is helpful:)

Great photos, Emily! I didn't see your post before I started mine. The photo really shows the differences in shape.

The only thing I would add to what can be seen in the photo, is that my Mexico hooks are not that unifrom in size with my US and Japan hooks.

Great photos, Emily! I didn't see your post before I started mine. The photo really shows the differences in shape.

The only thing I would add to what can be seen in the photo, is that my Mexico hooks are not that unifrom in size with my US and Japan hooks.

This is great information. I will add it to my notes on Susan Bates hooks.

Thanks.

Thanks for bringing this up again. I will attest to the Mexico hooks not being comparable in size to the USA ones. Also, the new steel hooks are so thin and flimsy as to make them impossible to hold properly.

Archived